[geocentrism] Fw: THE ATHANASIAN CREED

  • From: "philip madsen" <pma15027@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "geocentrism list" <geocentrism@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 31 Aug 2007 17:33:47 +1000

As you all know, I would be the last to lead any one here towards what is in
this world today, claiming to be the Catholic Faith. Niether do I wish to cause
dissention. Thus it seems the following should offend no one.  If any feels
offence, sorry, my intentions were benevolent , not inflammatory, and I would
be happy to hear what part of this causes any hurt. Keep in mind that the
Catholic faith herein referred to was at the time of   St. Athanasius Bishop of
Alexandria; Confessor and Doctor of the Church; born c. 296; died 2 May, 373.

Philip.

THE ATHANASIAN CREED

(Alcuin, who flourished in the eighth century as a great promoter of science
and literature under the Emperor Charlemagne, and who was one of the most
learned men of his age, seems to have had no doubt that this Creed was written
by St. Athanasius, bishop of Alexandria, a zealous defender of the faith
against the Arians. He makes lengthy quotations, word for word, from it
(Migne's Patrologie, Vol. CI., 73, 82). The Learned Suarez (1548-1617), whom
Bossuet regards as a master in every science, seems to have held the same
belief as Alcuin (Opera Vol XIX,. Disp L., sect. 3). But modern critics are
disposed to say that it was compiled at a later date from the writings of the
Saint, which nearly all treat of dogrnatic subjects. The distinctions in it
with regard to the great mysteries of the Trinity and the Incarnation are
marvellously clear.  All ambiguity is banished as far as possible from it.  It
is recited at Prime by priests and others bound to the Divine Office, on very
many Sundays throughout the year.)

Whoever wishes to be saved, above all things it is necessary for him to hold
the Catholic Faith.

Which Faith, unless a man keeps whole and inviolate, without doubt he shall be
lost for ever.

Now the Catholic Faith is this, that we adore one God in Trinity, and Trinity
in Unity.

Neither confounding the persons, nor separating the substance.

For one is the person of the Father, another of the Son, another of the Holy
Ghost.

But the divinity of the Father, and of the Son, and of the holy Ghost, is one,
the glory equal, the Majesty co-eternal.

Such as the Father is such is the Son, such is the Holy Ghost.

The Father uncreated, the Son uncreated, the Holy Ghost uncreated.

The Father immense, the Son immense, the Holy Ghost immense.

The Father eternal, the Son eternal, the Holy Ghost eternal.

And yet there are not three eternals, but one eternal.

As there are not three uncreated, nor three immenses, but one uncreated and one
immense.

In like manner, the Father is almighty, the Son is almighty, the Holy Ghost is
almighty.

And yet they are not three almighties, but one almighty.

the Father is God, the Son is God, the Holy Ghost is God.

And yet they are not three Gods, but one God.

The Father is Lord, the Son is Lord, the Holy Ghost is Lord.

And yet there are not three Lords, but one Lord.

For as we are obliged by the Christian truth to confess that each particular
person is God and Lord, so we are forbidden by  the Christian religion to say
that there are three Gods or  three Lords .

The Father is not made, nor created nor begotten.

The Son is from the Father alone, not made, not created, but begotten.

The Holy Ghost is from the Father and  the Son, not made, nor created, nor
begotten, but proceeding.

There is therefore one Father, not three Fathers; one Son, not three Sons; one
Holy Ghost, not three Holy Ghosts.

And in this Trinity there is nothing prior or posterior, nothing greater or
less; but the whole three Persons are co-eternal to one another, and co-equal.

So that in all things, as has been said above, the Unity in Trinity and the
Trinity in Unity are to be adored.

Whoever, therefore, wishes to be saved, let him thus think of the Trinity.

But it is necessary to eternal salvation that he should also faithfully believe
the Incarnation of our Lord Jesus Christ.

The right faith, therefore, is that we believe and confess that our Lord Jesus
Christ, the Son of God, is God and Man.

He is God, begotten of the substance of His Father before all ages; and He is
Man of the substance of His Mother, born in the world.

Perfect God, and perfect Man, of a rational soul and human flesh subsisting

Equal to the Father according to the divinity; less than the Father according
to the humanity.

Who, although He is God and Man, is not two, but one Christ.

One, not by the conversion of the divinity into flesh, but by the assumption of
the humanity unto God.

One altogether, not by confusion not substance, but by unity of person.

For as the rational soul and the flesh are one man, so God and Man are one
Christ.

Who suffered for our salvation, descended into Hell, rose again the third day
from the dead.

Ascended into heaven, sitteth at the right hand of God, the Father Almighty:
hence He shall come to judge the living and the dead.

At whose coming, all men are to rise again with their bodies, and to render an
account of their works.

And they who have done good, shall go into life everlasting; but they who have
done evil, into everlasting fire. This the Catholic Faith: which unless a man
truly and steadfastly believes, he cannot be saved.

PM