[geocentrism] Re: Forsaken Roots

  • From: "philip madsen" <pma15027@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <geocentrism@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 14 Apr 2007 07:41:57 +1000

but are you not in danger of abandoning your responsibility in this respect by
accepting the conclusions of the Council of Trent, or Cardinal Belarmine (my
apologies - I can see that I have spelt his name wrongly, but cannot remember
the correct spelling at the moment), or Pope JP2, or whoever?  Neville..

No apology needed.  I would probably have spelt it the same way..

However you may have misread me, but you know from experience of my previous
utterings that "my responsibility" prevents me from falling into the trap of
blind obedience. This is where intellect is guided by the spirit perhaps, but
if the Spirit intervenes with every individual, then He is certainly a
complicated and confused person, given the variety of contradictions among most
of the people, Catholic or not Catholic.

I would accept the Council of Trent as dogmatic, but not Bellarmine. But I
should not entirely trust my interpretation of Trent, it being a very
complicated Latin presentation. I would listen to Bellarmine because he was
closer to it, and had more authority than I..  I also allow my intellect, or
the Spirit if you prefer, to abandon almost all of what popes Paul VI , or any
of his successors say or have said , simply because they have shown themselves
to be either confused or anti-catholic.. more probably the latter.

The trouble with the spirit Neville is a very troublesome problem for the
reasons I gave.  Scripture says ( I cannot find where) we must test the Spirit
in all things..  To do that we must have intellect and reason.

Are we not  in danger of abandoning our responsibility in accepting the
conclusions of men whether they be other men or ourselves, deluded as we may
well be by false spirits.

God must be worshipped in spirit and in truth. You cannot have one without the
other.  Truth can be ascertained by correct reason. Discerning the Spirit
outside of Scripture is not so cut and dried. As you have chosen to censor
scripture, and reject large portions of it, how can you be certain of the
authenticity of your "spirit" without intellect?

Finally I have no dispute with this:
it is not primarily intellect, but a striving of the spirit towards truth and
constant prayer to request wisdom and understanding. That is why Christ states
that we shall know the truth, rather than unravel it or work it out.
Provided we are on track, He will give to our intellect the grace of
comprehension.  But Neville, both you and I know people who strive with
constant prayer , but who are on many differing tracks....So what striving, and
on what track was Paul, when he took the road to Damascus?