[geocentrism] Re: Evolution

  • From: Paul Deema <paul_deema@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Geocentrism@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 21 Sep 2007 15:41:47 +0000 (GMT)

JA
Thank you for your response.

"I'm sorry to say this post from you is unnecessarily argumentative and
confrontational. Worse, it includes an accusation that my position on the
subject of evolution in particular -- and by implication -- science in general,
can be equated to faith. I deny that now as I have previously, and as a result
of this, I see nothing to be gained by addressing the remainder of this post.
Paul D"
Paul, I have re-worded the statement to remove the part you find offensive. I
personally don't understand why you have a problem calling what you think to be
true, as faith.
It is not offensive as such -- my problem is that if I let it pass or fail to
address it specifically, it will be interpreted by many as acquiescence. The
corollary to this is that it will then be interpreted by many to mean that I
agree with the deeply ingrained attitude that faith means religious faith, that
belief means religious belief, that science can be equated to religion. In this
company, that is how it has been interpreted in the past and I do not wish
anyone to understand this to be so, so I must find other words to express my
confidence, my understanding.
Calling something transitional, does not make it transitional. You are assuming
it to be transitional because you can imagine how it could be and then you turn
around and call it evidence to support your contention that evolution is true
and this contention that evolution is true is what caused you to view it as
transitional in the first place. Do you not see the circular problem here?
I've posted requests twice to others to define what they mean by 'transitional
form'. I have posted mine. When we agree what the word means, we will be able
to discuss the matter.
If this makes it easier for you to read and somehow less accusatory, I would be
happy to rephrase my entire original post.
I realise that matters of faith are not where you want to think that you are.
You want to be a practical and thoughful person, on a higher path of science,
evidence, probabilities and practicality. My point to you is that you are not
free from the things you dislike in others, faith, preconceived notions,
assumptions, brainwashing, culture, peer pressure, etc.... - No one is free of
these things, not me, not you, or enyone else here. It seems you have agreed
with me previously that all people, religious or scientific, are influenced by
these same faults. I say that evolution is a result of these unsavory
characteristics, and that you as a man of science and practicallity might want
to examine whether or not that is true.
I have agreed previously that this is true. I have not changed my mind.
However, evolution is a process, which, to the best of their ability to
discern, many men of science and 'non-diploma-possessing' people, is the best
explanation of why we are what and where we are.
JA