[geocentrism] Re: Earth and science

  • From: Paul Deema <paul_deema@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Geocentrism@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 31 Aug 2007 19:19:26 +0000 (GMT)

Marc V
I apologise if I appeared to snap at you -- my intention was only to bring
things back to the academic. I too have trouble with what you believe (about
how the universe works) but I prefer to believe that the problem is that the
scientific method has simply not been properly explained to you.
Concerning the matter of 'physical reasons' why an Earth based observer should
be believed over a -- for instance -- Mars observer however, I have a problem.
You don't actually have to be there to determine what you will see. From
hundreds of years of telescope observations we know where it will be at any
particular date and which half will be in daylight and which in darkness at any
given time. We know from similar observations what the axial tilt with respect
to its orbital plane is and the angle between Mars' orbit and the ecliptic. We
know at any instant whether the observer in the northern hemisphere is looking
forward to the Vernal Equinox or the Autumnal Equinox. We know which
constellation will be at the observer's zenith at midnight. By using geometry,
it is possible to determine what the sky will look like with considerable
confidence thus -- should the observer be un-schooled in these matters -- it
would be easy to understand why he could come
 to the conclusion that Mars is at the centre of the Universe, immovable and
with the whole universe revolving around him.
As an exercise, try reading the short description below, think about it -- you
know, shut your eyes and imagine yourself in the picture so to speak, and tell
me if you don't see what I'm getting at. For this exercise you don't even need
a telescope, but functional eyes would definately be an advantage! |[:-)

*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*
If you lived on the Moon, at about its equator and on the zero degree longitude
meridian, ie, about the centre of the disk visible from Earth, then
approximately directly overhead, you would see the Earth, more or less fixed in
one place. In addition, you would see the Sun come up over the eastern horizon
approximately every 2,551,390 seconds (one luna solar day), and you would see
the same star come up over the eastern horizon approximately every 2,360,620
seconds (one lunar sideral day). During the solar day, you would see the earth
wane once through all phases from a full disk, to gibbous, half, cresent and
new before waxing through new, cresent and half, to gibbous before arriving
back at full. During this same period, you would also observe the Earth rotate
on its axis approximately 29.53 times (29.53 Earth solar days).
Further more, if you had been born on the Moon, from parents who came from a
long line of Selenite antecedants, you may well have grown up believing that
the Moon and the Earth are joined by some invisible rod or bar, and that this
pair of bodies are stationary in the universe (save for the Earth's rotations)
while the Sun revolves around the Moon/Earth system every 2,551,390 seconds
(29.53 Earth solar days) approximately, and the stars revolve around the
Moon/Earth system every 2,360,620 seconds (27.32 Earth solar days)
approximately. After all - what you see is what you get - your senses tell you
this is so and a suitably placed and operated camera will confirm what you see.