[geocentrism] Re: Climate change

  • From: "philip madsen" <pma15027@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <geocentrism@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 3 Jun 2007 11:09:08 +1000

I can find no fault with your view stated here Martin, but once again I am/was
forced to really take your words at independent face value..  I tend to jump at
phrases, and get the wrong message. for example your closing required close
scrutiny for me to get the correct message. .

"Where we've differed, I've usually found his arguments to be valid but not
sound (an important distinction in logic: a valid argument is inexorably true
if the premises are true, while a sound argument is a valid argument where the
premises are actually true). But few are patient enough to drill down below the
primary level of the debate, so we don't get too far in such dialogues."

At first I thought you had uttered a contradiction because I failed to
distinguish the difference between validity (of the argumentative material),
and the validity of the argumental method..  ie a good argument or a bad
argument.

Whilst patience in reading dialogue is a necessity by all means, nothing is
really resolved where there is difficulty and even contradiction in determining
which premises are actually true, from those which are possibly true.

"If" the Bible is true,  then Pilate was exceptionally wise when he said "what
is truth?"

"If" the Bible is just another book, then its ancient authors were
exceptionally wise compared to the majority today.