[geocentrism] Re: Calendar query

  • From: "Robert Bennett" <robert.bennett@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <geocentrism@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 3 Apr 2005 11:25:21 -0400

Hi Allen,

The heliocentrist logic is quite different. They know that the phenomenal
language used in the Bible is the same as used in English today - the sun
sets and rises, not the earth. They choose to ignore this consistent world
view of both past and present reflected in the semantics to invent a
contrary perspective of a moving earth.

To understand "x days and x nights" as it was understood 2000 years ago is
not contrived, but good hermeneutics. The exegetical point to be made is
that Hebrew idioms, when faithfully and literally translated, may not convey
the same sense as in English. Much understanding of Scripture would be lost
if we ignored Jewish law and customs and idiosyncracies of the language.

You are correct: The text is very plain and clear  ..... if read in the
original context of Hebrew. We already know that the Hebrew day was
inclusive, so any part of a modern English day would be a Hebrew day.

This is not a private interpretation, but public, since this Hebrew manner
of speaking was common to all and is evident to all in reading the
Scriptures.

> If I have not spoken as the scriptures fine, point that
> out.
To I Corinthians 8:2:   Amen!

The easiest way to misinterpret the Bible is to take modern-day,
English-language definitions and apply them to these documents written
thousands of years ago in foreign languages. Yet if it is truth and correct
interpretations we wish to arrive at, we need to understand the culture,
language, and especially the idioms of the original writers.

Why presume that this figure of speech (or any others) had the meanings in
Jesus? day that we would assign to them today? We must elicit the meaning of
Christ?s Messianic prophecy of Jonah in the context of the times in which it
was given, if we are to correctly understand it.

In our modern tongue, we do not speak in terms of ?days and nights?; we
don't take trips for ?fourteen days and fourteen nights?. However, the
Scriptures are not this strict in chronology when they speak of three days
and three nights.This Hebrew expression, idiom, or figure of speech is used
over and over in Scripture. It always has the same number of days and
nights. For example:
The flood lasted for forty days and forty nights ? Genesis 7:4, 12
Job's so-called friends sat with him seven days and seven nights ? Job 2:13
Jonah was in the fish three days and three nights ? Jonah 1:17.

There are 15 citations in Revelation that use the x days and x nights
phrasing, There are no instances , NONE, of x days and y nights.

Genesis 42:17 tells us that Joseph put his brothers ?into ward three days?.
Yet the very next verse says that Joseph pulled them out and spoke to them
?the third day?. Here Moses reckons time inclusively.

Rabbinic sources confirm the usage of inclusive reckoning. In the Jewish
Talmud (Shabbath 9, 3; cf.) and the Babylonian Talmud (Pesahim 4a), we read
about Rabbi Eleazar ben Azariah, who lived around 100 AD (making him a near
contemporary of Jesus), making the following statement: ?A day and a night
are an Onan [a portion of time] and the portion of an onan is as the whole
of it.?

The Jewish Encyclopedia points out that this practice of inclusive day
reckoning is still in use among Jewish people today: ?In Jewish communal
life part of a day is at times reckoned as one day; e.g., the day of the
funeral, even when the latter takes place late in the afternoon, is counted
as the first of the seven days of mourning; a short time in the morning of
the seventh day is counted as the seventh day; circumcision takes place on
the eighth day, even though on the first day only a few minutes remained
after the birth of the child, these being counted as one day? (vol. IV,
p.475).

?three days and three nights? covers any part of the first and third days,
and all time in between - not in any way meaning three time periods of 24
hours each (72 full hours) as we would understand them. . Since we do not
use this figure of speech today, we cannot properly form our understanding
of the prophecy based on our modern English usage. To do so would be to
change the meaning and misinterpret it.

More excellent commentary - much more - on this and the Wednesday Sabbath
cruxifixion theory at :
http://midnightcryministries.com/ThreeDays.htm

RIP, JPII

Robert