[geocentrism] Attachment Sizes

  • From: Steven Jones <steven@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: geocentrism@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 31 Oct 2007 17:31:22 +0000

I'm not coming down heavy on you J A because I'm guilty of it myself, however may I suggest if you submit any more of your excellent diagrams that you use a compressed file format such as png (Portable Network Graphics) because a bmp (bitmap) is unnecessarily large for sending.

I would also like to suggest that Allan also saves in png, because jpg losses a lot of quality for diagram like drawings whereas you should achieve better compression with png and no-loss in quality (its a very clever format).

Without going into technical specs:

  • jpg = for photos
  • png = for technical diagrams
  • gif = for technical diagrams with no more than 256 colours, can be 256 shades of grey which is the most amount of grey shades a Windows computer can display anyway even if running 24 bit colour. Forget 32 bit on Windows machines, this is a deception to long to explain here!

Best Wishes,

Steven.