[geocentrism] Re: Atoms & Electrons

  • From: Jack Lewis <jack.lewis@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: geocentrism@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 11 Feb 2008 19:08:04 +0000

Thank you for the images which were quite fascinating. This may seem like a dumb question but shouldn't we be able to see some hint of the nickel atoms that the helium atoms were sitting on?

Jack

Regner Trampedach wrote:

On the contrary, Jack.
The scanning tunneling microscope was invented in 1987 and can easily
resolve atoms. Have a look at:
      http://www.phys.au.dk/spm/
There is also a STM picture and movie-gallery in the left-hand-side of
that page. Each bump in the pictures is an atom. We can tell which element
a particular atom is, and we can also remove and deposit single atoms using
the same technology - first done in 1989 by D. Eigler from IBM:
http://www.ieee-virtual-museum.org/collection/event.php?id=3457012&lid=1 <http://www.ieee-virtual-museum.org/collection/event.php?id=3457012&lid=1> I have seen the scanning tunneling microscope in action. It drifted markedly
when I entered the room, because my body-temperature heated the room
and the microscope, resulting in an expansion of the microscope. I also snapped my fingers, and the sound, traveling through the air and the many stages of suspension designed to isolate it from shaking - resulted in a deep furrow in the
picture.