[geocentrism] Re: Aspden effect and Aether.

  • From: Allen Daves <allendaves@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: geocentrism@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 5 Jul 2007 16:06:35 -0700 (PDT)

comments in blue....

"Martin G. Selbrede" <mselbrede@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
  Well, Philip, I don't have a dog in that hunt, since I'm a complete
non-drinker. This always surprises people when I defend the moderate use of
alcohol (which, as the Scriptures point out, was created by God "to make glad
the countenance of man."). Critics think that I'm being self-serving (no pun
intended) in my defense of it, only to find out that I avoid the stuff like the
plague. Which, as a dorm president in college in the 1970s, made me the only
person the large male population could trust with its kegs.

  Critics who realize they're cut off from an ad hominem attack on me (since
I'm not defending my personal practice when I defend consumption of alcohol),
then make the crazy claim that wine in Biblical days was far weaker (lower
alcoholic content) than modern wines. I then point out that Isaiah 1:22
condemns the weakening of wine as a sign of ungodliness in the culture of
Israel, on the same level as mixing dross in with silver (i.e., debauching the
currency with base metals).
  Amen....

  Needless to say, the Scriptures roundly condemn the abuse of alcohol ("strong
drink is a mocker"), and even more surprisingly, the Bible particularly
condemns getting other people drunk.  As in Habakkuk 2:15 -- "Woe unto him that
giveth his neighbour drink, that puttest thy bottle to him, and makest him
drunken also, that thou mayest look on their nakedness!"  When we work to
inebriate our fellow man, we are taking away from him the one thing that
separates him from a brute animal.  King David's life was fundamentally upright
except in the so-called "matter of Uriah the Hittite" (I Kgs 15:5), which
involved three sins. Most people know about the adultery with Bathsheba, and
with David's attempt to have Uriah killed in the front lines of battle.  But
the third sin in between these well-known two outrages was David's successful
attempt to get Uriah drunk (2 Sam. 11:13: "David made him drunk....").
  Amen....

  Ergo, one need not ever have imbibed to (1) Biblically defend the use of
alcohol in moderation, (2) condemn its abuse according to Scripture, and (3)
critique faulty notions of how "weak" wine allegedly was in Biblical times. But
then, I've never tried coffee either, and don't think I'm missing anything
there any more than I am in regard to alcohol. At age 50, I don't plan to take
up either beverage (nor tea, for that matter). I suspect I took my schooling
seriously that pointed out that alcohol kills brain cells. That was good enough
for me: brain cells sounded like things I should work to keep, not kill.
Analogous warnings about tobacco kept me far from cigarettes (although I'm of
the basic opinion that mankind has still not discovered the actual intended
purpose for tobacco).

  My late wife enjoyed wine, and so I befriend the wine steward at the local
store to learn what the best wines were that I could acquire for her. Since
there was a hefty discount buying six at a time, I once loaded up my cart with
12 bottles.  As I pushed the cart out of the department, another customer
walked up to the wine steward and remarked, "My, that guy sure likes wine!"  To
which the wine steward answered deadpan, "Him?  No, he actually doesn't touch
the stuff."

  So, count me among those with two sober feet -- but by personal preference,
not Biblical mandate.
  Amen....

  Martin

  I belive there was much wisdom in Fryer Tuck  when he said  " The Lord hath a
more divine purpose for barley"  (Robin Hood ..."Prince of Thieves")

    On Jul 5, 2007, at 4:04 PM, philip madsen wrote:

    Martin there was once a time when I'd agree with you. But these days and
having His warning, "And he that is on the housetop, let him not come down to
take any thing out of his house:"
  I tend these days to try to keep one foot always sober.

  I guess I will not be wanting to place too much value on any books as well.

  Philip