[geocentrism] Re: A CONTROVERSIAL SUBJECT

  • From: Bernie Brauer <bbrauer777@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: geocentrism@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 16 Nov 2008 17:08:14 -0800 (PST)

Forwarded to Marshall by Bernie

--- On Sun, 11/16/08, philip madsen <pma15027@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

From: philip madsen <pma15027@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [geocentrism] A CONTROVERSIAL SUBJECT
To: "geocentrism list" <geocentrism@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sunday, November 16, 2008, 3:58 PM

The majority of us here are essentially fundamentalist believers in scripture
as it is writ.. This is why we are geocentrist. But as I re-examine genesis, I
think we tend to gloss over almost maybe with embarrassment some anomalies, to
the point of dishonesty perhaps..  I decided to raise some questions with a
mini Bible study of the first Chapter, from the scientific angle...I printed
the complete first chapter here, but will just have a critique of the first few
verses today, with a view to developing a subject..  There is much
inconsistency...Its not consistent with basic science, or even literal
accuracy.. It seems I am making a great case here for the six days as being a
myth, leaving open the argument of creation being either instantaneous, or
evolutionary..  and I much more prefer the former.
1 In the beginning God created heaven, and earth. Is this the authors
introduction of the whole process, or is it a statement of the beginning of the
first day? We are forced by context to assume the latter. He created Heaven and
Earth..  Can it be heaven as where the angels existed..  Then Earth becomes a
term for the physical world. space.  a place not an object. because this next,
2 And the earth was void and empty, and darkness was upon the face of the deep.
And the spirit of God moved over the waters. We have big problems here.. The
author seems to be talking about a planet which has deep seas..  If so then
verse one changes back to a more physical statement of "he created the heavens
as in sky , and a world called earth.."  The world is void and empty!  What is
meant by void here?  and empty?  A vessel can be empty..  Void means the
absence of everything. Immediately following , is mentioned the face of the
deep, which to me is talking about the surface of a deep sea. If this is so,
then the Earth is niether empty nor void..  Can we assume he is saying that the
planet has land which is empty and void, and a sea , Almost as though it was
poetry..  the darkness over the sea, must be over everything. Just as the
spirit moved over everything.  Why the poetry...?  Only poetic people, a
minority even, could take to this
 ..  That is exclusivity...
3 And God said: Be light made. And light was made. Light is a concept that can
only exist for sentient eyes. This verse is completely unsound much less
unscientific. Thus the word could have been stating a concept , rather than any
created thing. Likewise these next verses,
4 And God saw the light that it was good; and he divided the light from the
darkness. 5 And he called the light Day, and darkness Night. And there was
evening and morning one day. None of this could have happened, because it is
merely a symbolic discription of night and day.. A very primitive discription
that one would expect from a savage who knew nothing of the science of
cosmology. Its almost caveman science. What is more, it describes Day and
night  before the creation of the sun. So it is not a creation at all so far,
but just an idea for the first day.
6 And God said: Let there be a firmament made amidst the waters: and let it
divide the waters from the waters. As we have shown it to be almost absolute
that these verses are poetic descriptions, so far, then we have no reason
to doubt it is so for the entire week of verses. As primitives know there is
rain, from above, and rivers and seas below, so we can have a sky, a simple
meaning for firmament, which is between the two waters..  This is more caveman
science.
7 And God made a firmament, and divided the waters that were under the
firmament, from those that were above the firmament. And it was so.
8 And God called the firmament Heaven. And the evening and morning were the
second day. so here we have an affirmation that the first verse above was
really an introduction to all of the week of days. Heaven is the sky. The sky
is what is seen. It s a canopy, (firmament) It has no depth. A caveman would
expect this to hold the rain up ..
9 God also said: Let the waters that are under the heaven, be gathered together
into one place, and let the dry land appear. And it was so done. So we are
given an explanation of verse 2 that the globe was all water above the land..
Think of the massive geological upheavals to cause this shift of land , as
islands are still created today. so the "deep"   got deeper..  A bit like the
reverse of the flood.
10 And God called the dry land Earth: and the gathering together of the waters,
he called Seas. And God saw that it was good. Now this is a great
contradiction!  The seas are no longer the earth..  And what happened to that
other earth in Verse 2 that was void and empty. And I think this is enough
stirring of the pot for today as the rest of this day we are given to believe
all the trees and plants are growing fine, we have night and day, , and this is
only the third day, and the sun has not yet been made???
11 And he said: Let the earth bring forth the green herb, and such as may seed,
and the fruit tree yielding fruit after its kind, which may have seed in itself
upon the earth. And it was so done.
12 And the earth brought forth the green herb, and such as yieldeth seed
according to its kind, and the tree that beareth fruit, having seed each one
according to its kind. And God saw that it was good.
13 And the evening and the morning were the third day.
14 And God said: Let there be lights made in the firmament of heaven, to divide
the day and the night, and let them be for signs, and for seasons, and for days
and years:
15 To shine in the firmament of heaven, and to give light upon the earth. And
it was so done.
16 And God made two great lights: a greater light to rule the day; and a lesser
light to rule the night; and the stars. 17 And he set them in the firmament of
heaven to shine upon the earth.
18 And to rule the day and the night, and to divide the light and the darkness.
And God saw that it was good. 19 And the evening and morning were the fourth
day.
20 God also said: Let the waters bring forth the creeping creature having life,
and the fowl that may fly over the earth under the firmament of heaven.
21 And God created the great whales, and every living and moving creature,
which the waters brought forth, according to their kinds, and every winged fowl
according to its kind. And God saw that it was good.
22 And he blessed them, saying: Increase and multiply, and fill the waters of
the sea; and let the birds be multiplied upon the earth.
23 And the evening and the morning were the fifth day.
24 And God said: Let the earth bring forth the living creature in its kind,
cattle and creeping things, and beasts of the earth, according to their kinds.
And it was so done.
25 And God made the beasts of the earth according to their kinds, and cattle,
and every thing that creepeth on the earth after its kind. And God saw that it
was good.
26 And he said: Let us make man to our image and likeness; and let him have
dominion over the fishes of the sea, and the fowls of the air, and the beasts,
and the whole earth, and every creeping creature that moveth upon the earth.
27 And God created man to his own image; to the image of God he created him.
Male and female he created them.
28 And God blessed them, saying: Increase and multiply, and fill the earth, and
subdue it, and rule over the fishes of the sea, and the fowls of the air, and
all living creatures that move upon the earth.
29 And God said: Behold I have given you every herb bearing seed upon the
earth, and all trees that have in themselves seed of their own kind, to be your
meat:
30 And to all beasts of the earth, and to every fowl of the air, and to all
that move upon the earth, and wherein there is life, that they may have to feed
upon. And it was so done.
31 And God saw all the things that he had made, and they were very good. And
the evening and morning were the sixth day.

PM