[GeoSTL] Re: www.geogamer.com

  • From: Paul Konopacki <konopapw@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: geocaching@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 10 Jun 2002 11:13:46 -0500

When I was a programmer at Maritz Performance Improvement
Company (MPIC), we wrote web site pages very much like
the 'reward' pages on www.geogamer.com.  As a customer,
you would 'redeem' your 'points' for merchandise.  Maritz would
handle the point calculations, prize redemption and much of the
prize inventory and shipping.

Many years ago, on Employee Appreciation day at Maritz,
they gave out a toolset to all employees.  It was an item
from the merchandise catalog.  The item was so cheap
that people were breaking the screwdrivers just trying to use
them to unscrew the back of a PC case!

Not to say that all their items were cheap.  One time, due to a
programming bug, a Bose radio was mailed to an address in U-City.
The address was valid, but it was to Lois Lane, obviously a test
account in the system that slipped through to production.  I
warned Maritz that it had happened, but they ignored me.  A few
days later they were in a panic and wanted to go to that address
and ask for the item back!  As luck would have it, a Fed Ex driver
noticed the name Lois Lane and questioned the delivery before
they received it.

I also heard of a story where someone ordered a refridgerator
using a point-redemption web site and erroneously got two for
the price of one!  (I've got other stories like that!)