[GeoStL] Re: what is this?

  • From: "P ekey" <pkekey@xxxxxxx>
  • To: "Geocaching" <geocaching@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 25 Oct 2002 21:30:59 -0500

That is a surveyor's nail in asphaltic concrete at the Harrisburg airport.
Those types of surveyors marks are placed in areas where a traditional flag on
a stick won't work, i.e., roads, parking lots, runways and taxiways, or where a
more permanent marker is needed. The sketch on the notebook page is the
surveyor's notes to relocate that particular nail. In this case, where NASA is
performing some kind of high-altitude topographic mapping, these points serve
as ground control points to tie the maps into. I notice that the one on the
Columbia, MO, airport is an "X" chiseled into a concrete curb.
http://aol.wff.nasa.gov/aoltm/gps_sites/colum.html
Locating these would be like hunting benchmarks. Unfortunately, most of these
marks at airports would be in areas not generally accessible to the public
these days.
If you back up the address to http://aol.wff.nasa.gov/aoltm you will get a
brief explanation of how these gps waypoints are used.

Pam E. Tribble 157