[GeoStL] Re: was Explorist 300 now shopping

  • From: Mike Lusicic <lusicic@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: geocaching@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 20 Apr 2006 21:14:09 -0500

-

Well, I am a simple kinda guy, and I have a knife that is my constant
companion. If I had more than one to choose from, I am afraid I would become
useless and not be able to do anything because I would get stuck trying to
decide which knife I would be totin' for the day.

With regard to the marlin spike and shackle.... A shackle in simple terms is
a U shaped piece with another removable piece that goes across the opening
ofthe U. Some kinds of shackles have a "bolt" that closes the U by slipping
through a large hole on one side, and then gets screwed into threads on the
other leg of the U. The head of the bolt can have a hole through it, and you
can slide the marlin spike into the hole and use it as a wrench to either
tighten or loosen the bolt.

And yes, you can use a marlin spike to help you create a loop on the end of
arope that could be put on a shackle. You could do it ON the shackle, but
like I said, I am a simple guy, and the shackle would just get in the way,
soI would make the loop first, then put the loop in the shackle.

If I had a boat with rigging, I would take one off your hands. Besides,
nailsare cheaper, so I don't have to worry about losing one... or ten for
that matter. That makes a big difference if you need a bunch of them to
teachkids rope stuff. The only time I worry about getting them back is if
thehorseplay gets out of hand.

tklnhl &kyd wrote: - Perhaps I should have stuck with the speculation .... I
rather like the idea of being able to stab a few small fishes. It's a shame
you don't the right tool for the right job. If ONLY you knew someone who
happens to own a few, new, silver, black or fluorescent handled rigging
knives that could help you out. What a shame... what a shame.. Would it be
possible to use the marlin spike to weave rope into a shackle? Nancy -----
Original Message ----- From: "Mike Lusicic" - Yep. It is rather task
specific, with names that are also task specific. Shackles are part of the
rigging and are used to hold things, somewhat the same as holding prisoners
in place which is probably what most folks think ofwhen they hear that word.
And a marlin spike is used to help in weaving rope for splices and other
tasks that involve making a "hole" in an existing weave or twist of rope
where you want to send in another rope end. Since I don't have a marlin
spike, I tend to use a plain old ordinary nail. tklnhl &kyd wrote: - Or
spikea mini Marlin.. based on the description we'll be able to defend
ourselves against even the smallest of those clever fishes."Official
a partially serrated section for quick line cutting, as well as a 2-1/2"
marlin spike, shackle wrench and a flat head screwdriver." Not even
speculating on the shackle wrench ... Nancy ----- Original Message -----
From: "Glenn" <GLNash@xxxxxxxxxx>[1][1] - I have floated in that boat
before.A pretty nice little inflatable. Rigging knives are always good to
keep in your pocket. Never know when you will need to cut some rope. glenn
tklnhl &kyd wrote: - Another place similar to woot (and now I'm giving away
one of my best shopping "Secrets") is www.dailyzort.com[2[2]] . It's outdoor
stuff. I'm almost finished with my "guy" Christmas shopping thanks to this
site -- there have been some great rod, reel, sleeping bag and knife deals.
Shipping is a flat $5.00 so it's best to buy more than one of whatever you
get. One item a day. Today it's a blow up kayak. Some days are better than
others. Yesterday it was weird little rigging knives, dog flotation vests
before that and over the weekned was glass balls. (You have to read that
write up for yourselves). BUT, now, last Thursday was Knife-o-Rama. They
switched out knives every few hours until at 9:00 AM they offered a UZO -
unidentified zorting object for $10.00. It's a mystery box of the theme of
the day. I'm embarrassed to admit how many I ordered hoping for more great
guy gifts. And, we got some nifty things, but, ALSO we'll never need another
rigging knife for as long as we live (Anyone interested? ??? I'd probably be
willing to mail you one!) The good news is that they are on the East coast
and you don't have to wait until midnight for the item to change. The bad
news is, like woot, when you buy it, you own it. No returns. No customer
service. If you can't wait 24 hours for new bargains, my techie girlfriend
swears by this site http://www.slickdeals.net/[3[3]] to keep updated on some
of the best internet deals. Nancy ----- Original Message ----- From: "Mike
Griffin" - http://www.woot.com[4[4]] has the Magellan Explorist 300 right
nowfor 99.00. When they are gone, they are gone! The 300 does not take
expansioncards or a cable connection. Everything is entered manually. Just
FYI.. Ebay has them for 114.00.. Thanks Bridget for the heads up! Mike to be
Archived http://tinyurl.com/87cqw[5[5]]

--- Links ---
   1 mailto:GLNash@xxxxxxxxxx
   2 http://www.dailyzort.com[2