[GeoStL] Re: urban caching again

  • From: thejones crew <shitsngrins@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <geocaching@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 20 Dec 2008 11:44:32 -0600

-
Just wanted to follow up on this. I know I am in a 'small' town so it is easier
for me to deal with  here. I have given a list of my geocaches in the area to
the local police. They also have my phone number in case it ever is an issue.
THe parks department also has a list so if their workers stumble upon a cache
they know what it is. The know that there are other caches in the area too and
that they can call on me if they need to find about something that might be a
cache. Working with them has increased the willingness of the town be cache
friendly. Works here, but not sure how it would work in the 'big city'.

Arlene (JonesCrew)> From: gc-rgs@xxxxxxxxxx> To: geocaching@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [GeoStL] Re: urban caching again> Date: Sat, 20 Dec 2008 11:39:18
-0600> > -> It's unfortunate, but I think it will happen here one of these
days. We've > been lucky but we're just biding our time.> > Years ago a large
PVC pipe was discovered hidden in some bushes at Queeny > park. A park ranger
and police were called but luckily the rangers know > about our caches and it
was a non-issue. That was the incident that removed > PVC pipe as an approved
container in St. Louis county parks. Ammo cans are > the other prohibited
containers.> > I was in a park in Farmington hunting the Jonescrew caches and
as I walked > back to the car a policeman stopped me and asked if I was
geocaching. I said > yes and he said, "fine, enjoy your day". A neighbor had
seen me walking in > the park looking in a bush and thought that was suspicious
so she called it > in. Fortunately he was aware of caches in Farmington.> >
Obviously these police/bomb squad problems wouldn't happen if we could >
somehow contact all of the necessary agencies and make them aware of our >
hobby. I don't think that will ever happen as there will always be someone >
down the line that doesn't get the word. Even placing "GEOCACHE" on every >
container probably wouldn't help since there's still a lot of people, both >
the public and police, who have never heard the term.> > Rich> ----- Original
Message ----- > From: "Glenn Nash" <glenn.geocachingadmin@xxxxxxxxx>> To:
"SLAGA" <geocaching@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>> Sent: Saturday, December 20, 2008 10:45 AM>
Subject: [GeoStL] urban caching again> > > > -> >
http://www.herald-mail.com/?cmd=displaystory&story_id!2866&format=html> >> >> >
Your friendly Missouri Geocache Review team,> > Glenn (*gln) & Reviewer of the
For List Info or To make _ANY_ changes, including unsubscribing from this> >
list, click -----> //www.freelists.org/list/geocaching> > Missouri Caches
Scheduled to be Archived http://tinyurl.com/87cqw> > Missouri land use policies
--> www.MoCache.net> > Mogeo forums -->http://mogeo.ipbhost.com/index.php> >
"NGR LIST" --> //www.freelists.org/list/mga > > > >