[GeoStL] Re: the evil Empire

  • From: "Bruce S" <bruces1321@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: geocaching@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 05 Jun 2003 14:07:26 -0500

-
>Some folks here have mentioned all the problems with geocaching here in st.
>louis, I am glad that we do not have their kinds of problems.

>anybody care do discuss?

In general I think you will hear less controversy on cache approval/rules
from St Louis group for one specific reason... for the most part cachers in
the St Louis area have been following the current rules already with few
exceptions.  For example:

St Louis area has never been a big supporter of Locationless caches - thus
when they were curtailed little impact was noted.

St Louis area has comparatively few virtual caches - similar cities have
them in the 100's (ie KC, Dallas, Fort Worth, Nashville)

St Louis area has had few code word micros - I think some of the very first
ones might have been in the St Louis area but it did not become the trend as
it did in Chicago.

Series of caches in St Louis area are rare... in other cities they are quite
common.   I know in some cases there has been concern whether the series
should be 1 multi or several individual caches with a bonus. (Nashville and
Chicago have several series each)

Cache density in the St Louis area has never been such that the .1 mile rule
has been a problem except on rare occasions when the existence of another
cache is unknown/"unremembered".  Part of the reason that our density is not
as high is because of the 3 preceding points(few virtuals, few micros, and
few series).  Cache density is starting to become more of a concern in
certain parts of our area.

Subject field