[GeoStL] Re: something for the folks a little southwest

  • From: Glenn <Glenn@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: geocaching@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, geocaching@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 04 May 2003 16:51:55 -0500

-

I have been by there a while back and thought it was very neat too.

Who to contact is a big problem most of the time.

The issues of obtaining permission is getting more prominent all the time
and we really shouldn't ignore that part of the program process.  If we
continue on as we have in the past much longer, we really will be working
against our best interest.

 From the guidelines at GC.com, we are supposed to ask permission all the
time.

A very quick rundown of where is "legal".
-----------
Nothing at all on National Parks Service land.

We have been told by ranger ohiobill  to stay out of the scenic riverways
area along the current river. I dont know if that is official but he has
given myotis grief in the past.
----
States vary,
Missouri does not have an official policy as far as I know. The policy is
park by park.
Arkansas has a policy for state parks and natural areas, permits to obtain
ect. ...  park managers should have the info but i think things may still
be too new for everyone to have all the info.

Montana is park by park by permit.
Illinois needs permission for caches on state land.
Michigan issues permits.
Ohio issues permits i think. It is very complicated there, I steer clear of
Ohio caches.
Oklahoma issues permits in wildlife refuges.
Ky state parks.. you need permits prior to placing caches.
Tennessee state parks you need permission 1st.

Mark Twain Nat Forest.. caches are good and contact nancy freaks with
telling her the location of the cache.
----
the Missouri  Dept. of Conservation is a cache by case basis.  They have
worked with cachers here.The cache Gilligan returns had their permission.
One area is OFF LIMITS for sure that, is ROCKWOODS RESERVATION.  We have
been asked to leave the area twice now.    Letterboxing.org lists a
letterbox there but i dont think it is there anymore.

Localities in each state have their own rules and are even harder to keep
up with. ...
Local parks vary,  some places it is the park manager, other places is the
director of the city parks and rec. dept.

St. Louis County parks are OK, RGS just email them the location of the
caches in the parks. That is all they need   and really do not want to be
contacted for each cache directly.

St. Charles county parks have been working well with pntball and they seem
to like cacheing. I do not know their official policy tho.

Jefferson City has a good caching friendly policy.

There is a thread in the midwest forum of Geocaching.com that I try to keep
up to data as I can. SLAGA has a land use page that lists agencies, the
foresters for everyplace, and stays as current as they know info.

Gathering info is a problem because it changes so quickly. I depend on
cachers to let me know when places get policies.

I also have NO way to verify if permission is given. I assume that if it is
needed, the cacher already has done that part.

I am always interested if cachers are making headway with local parks people.

There has been discussions with the groundspeak folks that  with the redo
of the site, they are trying to develop some sort of linkable page that
refers back to the proper folks locally. I can imagine that it could be a
giant job just for that part.

hope that helps, I am totally confused most of the time.

glenn