[GeoStL] Re: off to woodstock

  • From: "Jim Bensman" <jbensman1@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <geocaching@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 5 Jul 2004 21:39:59 -0500

-

Nashville, a great place to visit to get numbers, but I would not want to
live there.  I will scream and yell if anyone tries to turn the St. Louis
area into a Nashville.

I think every sign and light pole has a cache.  Almost everything is a
micro.  I finally found two Tupperware containers in Paducah KY on the way
back today.  It took me 4 seconds to find a 4 star without reading the hint
today.

It was a lot of fun caching and socializing.  It was also neat getting about
100 finds in a single day (not sure how many yet).  All told I got about 25
on Friday, Saturday, and today and about 100 Sunday for about 175 in the
trip.  (That is going to be a pain to log.) I was afraid my 1000th cache was
going to be a light pole in a WalMart.  But I lucked out it was a bush in a
shopping center.  But it is NOT going to be my official 1000th cache.  I do
not even know what my 1100th cache was.

There are just caches everywhere.  There are serious after series.  It is
unbelievable.  But it was nice getting all those numbers.  If anyone wants
to get your numbers up quickly, that is the place to go.

I do not remember any caches that was in an interesting location.  Most are
in shopping centers and places like that. There were a few really well done
ones.  But most were no brainers.  We almost got shot on our 100 cache
machine run.  The cache was in a light pole at a block buster.  Someone was
parked next to it.  For some reason, one of our group went up and knocked on
their window.  When he rolled down the window, the guy had a gun on his lap.
We left quickly.

On our 100 cache run we got to 100 in less than 10 hours and ended up with
113 for the day (but I had already done some of them).  The way it worked
was you had a group and went looking together.  We had 9 in a big huge van
and 4 in a jeep.  We used my walkie talkies to communicate.  When someone
found the cache, they pulled it out.  Instead of everyone signing the logs,
we had a team name and we signed the team name (ours was team 1K since 2 of
us were hitting 1000).  Most of the people in my group we from TN.  I found
all the hard ones except 1.  I found them quickly too.

They did an amazing job preparing for this weekend.  They visited most of
the caches before we got there and put new logs in them.  They did a really
great job on the logistics.

It was a great weekend.  What Nashville lacks in quality, they make up for
in quantity.  The Woodstock gathering was great.  The SLAGA Team (Bear Clan,
BAJA Clan, and I) did great in the Poker Run.  Bridgett got the second
highest hand.  We all did better than CCCooperAgency.  We had good company
all weekend.

I almost forgot, Friday night RGS, Bear, Clan, BAJA Clan, and I were out
caching and the cops came up.  But she was nice.  The kids got to play with
the lights and sirens, etc.

We (RGS, Brawny, and I) also went to a cemetery at night for a cache.  We
closed the gate behind us, but it was open when we came out.  The
description said small tombstone and it was bigger than all three of us.

Glenn, how many did you end up with?

Jim Bensman
"Nature Bats Last"

Subject field