[GeoStL] Re: not REALLY threatened

  • From: "P ekey" <pkekey@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <geocaching@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 9 Jul 2004 09:36:43 -0500

-
<<Gosh, suddenly I'm feeling that maybe I overstated my discomfort at being a
lone female in a park, after reading all the discussion that followed.>>
No, you haven't overstated your discomfort at being alone in strange places.
Male or female, we all want to be safe while geocaching. For me, that means if
I don't like the surroundings, I skip the cache. The scariest person I have
encountered was a weird guy sunbathing in a very isolated part of a park. And
then there were the "birdwatchers" at Tower Grove Park . . .

In addition to risk from geomuggles, I also have concerns about injury, though
the worst I have done is sprain an ankle. Caching while alone, which I do most
of the time, increases the risk, even in an urban area. There are some great
caches in St. Louis area parks that can put you into surprisingly isolated
areas. Being cautious is a good idea. There's always another day to come back
to a cache if the situation doesn't feel right on the first try.

Pam