[GeoStL] Re: (no subject)

  • From: Mike Lusicic <lusicic@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: geocaching@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 09 Oct 2007 16:58:18 -0500

- Well, one of the things you learn in the class is all about just that. If you pull out your gun and you are not in a position where you have to defend yourself and actually use it, then it is considered assault or brandishing a deadly weapon. So the basic concept is that to stay legal, you don't pull the gun unless you pull the trigger. If not, then you become guilty of something rather than the trouble maker. Also, if you do not retreat and merely stand your ground, then you cannot legally use your gun since fleeing is an option. With the new Castle Doctrine, this fleeing requirement no longer applies to your house or car.

One of the things that has weighed on my mind as I grow older is what I could do if someone younger and larger than I were raping a woman. If I was younger I might have had a chance of stopping that person, but now I am not so confident. While I may have charged in as a young man, I would perhaps not be able to prevent anything today. I am not sure I could live with myself if I knew that I COULD have prevented something like that happening if I was "packing". I was a sniper in the National Guard. Maybe from that I have a  bit of a feeling of duty to defend others.

Mike
Miha Ivan

Elkie wrote:
IMHO I am pro gun and I think people should have the right to carry. What I worry about is if that person carrying a loaded gun feels threatened enough to pull that gun out.....are they actually prepared to USE that gun. Once you pull it you have to be ready to pull that trigger and use it on a person.  I don't carry a gun simply because I don't feel I need to. But if someone was coming thru my door at 3 am you bet your bottom dollar I'd pull the trigger. I grew up in the country where there was any number of loaded guns behind the dining room door. My kids grew up with loaded guns in the house, one behind the front door and one next to the bedroom door that are still there. So far the only things they have been used for was varmints.
elkie

Life is way to short to take serious.