[GeoStL] Re: new GC numbers?

  • From: "tnands" <sydstyr@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <geocaching@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 2 Jan 2007 17:16:12 -0600

-
Have you considered, or maybe you already have, a removable window mount for
the hand held GPS? This is what we have and you can easily move it from car
to car.  Plus, Map 60 CS(x's) have larger screens -- many are the size of
the smaller car unties.

We use MapSource (City Select) software and Roads and Rec but the CSx will
do the mapping for you  and the screen is every bit as big as the smaller
in-car.

We travel with a notebook and have nRoute  from Mapsource/Garmin -- it's  a
free download/upgrade. Simply connect the GPS to the laptop and your lovely
wife can co-navigate along with you ( and Oh believe me MY hubby LOVES it
when I do this LOL).  nRoute won't always do  the navigation on it's own --
it needs the City Select  (or other Mapsource) unlocked software etc but
even without this you can manually create a route (like on Google Earth) and
have it talk you through turns etc. Choice of voices too. Whooo-hooo

This is how we now cache. Passed up the handheld and went right for the
notebook lol.  I have GSAK and nROute going at the same time.  I have
discovered that before getting the caches into nROute I have to run them
through MapSource other wise once exported from GSAK and into nROute they
leave their names behind and become the GC numbers. I HATE THAT (maybe
someone has another way??)  What I would LOVE is to be able to click on the
description in GSAK and have it take me to the cache in nRoute and vice
versa -- does anyone know if there's something that does this?

Here's a pretty good review/explanation. I haven't seen much talk here of
nRoute  but so far it's working for us.

http://www.gpsinformation.org/penrod/nroute/nroute.html

Of course this is all a little more complicated than an in car GPS isn't it?

Nancy