[GeoStL] Re: looking to buy a PDA

  • From: "BottomFeeder" <BottomFeeder@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <geocaching@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 27 Sep 2004 07:26:00 -0500

-
If you already have a gps and your pda needs are simply for paperless
caching purposes, I don't think it makes much difference which one you buy
these days. Both the Palm and PocketPC platforms have the s/w available to
allow you to do that.

If you want a pda that can communicate with a gps (whether it's via CF,
bluetooth, or SD) and have street navigation s/w and/or topo s/w running,
then you probably want to consider one with a little more horsepower
(processor and memory). It still won't limit your choices much, but it's
worth being a little more picky.

I also have a PocketPC (iPAQ) and the s/w choices for it are plentiful. For
some decent reviews and discussion about the varius packages, go to
http://www.gpspassion.com. The LARGE majority of stuff reviewed/discussed
there is PPC based.

Like Glenn says, if you want an integrated pda/gps, there are several
solutions there as well. Be a little more specific about your wants/needs,
and we can be a little more helpful.

     -= Russ =- (BotFee)

Subject field