[GeoStL] it never fails

  • From: Glenn <GLNash@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: SLAGA <geocaching@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 26 Apr 2009 16:54:32 -0500

-
Geocaching on a trip. Seems something goes wrong every time I leave town.

Any time I get ready to go out of town all my stuff quits working. Today Cachemate has successfully updated itself with all the gpx files for the state EXCEPT the one for Mark Twain Lake. Recheck, resent... it crashes cachemate every time. Hmm.

I can work around that. Fire up gsak on the laptop, update and spin out a new gpx file. The laptop was working fine last night when I updated gsak. Today it is caught in some sort of endless boot, fail, reboot cycle. sigh. I guess i could reinstall XP reload gsak and rebuild Streets& trips and everything else I have to operate the mobile groundspeak office. I dont have That much time. (note try boot into safe mode and work from there) No problem, I can work around that. I will get several more PQ's of the lake area between now and leaving time. Maybe one of those will work in cachemate.

Once I get cacemate right i can push the cache locations out to Garmin Mobile XT (Nuvi software for the Windows Mobile platform) so the phone can navigate just fine. If everything else blows up I guess I could use the GPS to navigate (new concept) and just skip reading any cahce descriptions. I dont read them much anyway.

My Backup to everything is GCz http://www.nicque.com/PQz/GCz.htm that is installed on the phone (At&T Tilt) . GCz it the Windows Mobile equal of the Iphone geocaching app. It even looks the same. I could get to a general area, have GCz search for the nearest 20 caches and go from there. That may be the easiest way to go. No messing with broken gpx files, the cache pages are current as GCz polls the groundspeak database real time for info. That sounds like a better plan all the time.

I think I will still try to fix cachemate, Garmin Mobile XT and the laptop just in case. I am sure that half way there the phone will catch on fire and I will loose my regular GPS. I have done more with less in the past. I better buy a map and print some cache sheets before anything else goes wrong.

It never fails.

Glenn

Missouri Geocaching land use policies --> www.MoCache.net
MoGeo Forums -->http://mogeo.ipbhost.com/index.php