[GeoStL] Re: iphone gc app - anyone recommend app other than official version?

  • From: Michael Rogers <mrogers07@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "geocaching@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <geocaching@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 28 May 2012 11:56:39 -0700 (PDT)

As the caching world turns...

________________________________
 From: Laura Williams <pi.arent.square@xxxxxxxxx>
To: geocaching@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Sent: Monday, May 28, 2012 1:52 PM
Subject: [GeoStL] Re: iphone gc app - anyone recommend app other than official
version?

I'm sure if he wanted an actual GPS at this point he would have bought one. Or,
ground breaking thought here, maybe he already OWNS a GPS and wants to
supplement his caching. He didn't ask for snark, he asked for an honest opinion.

I enjoy having BOTH the app AND a gps as it gives me the option to cache with
focused purpose (on the gps) as well as fill in gaps between time slots in my
agenda and as a quick pick me up during a trip where I may not have originally
intended to cache on the drive there. People are so quick to knock the
apps...and it really irks me. Especially considering that it was the apps that
gets many people into caching and willing to spend hundreds of dollars on a GPS
unit later on down the line. By discrediting the apps in general, I feel like
people are not only being rude to those who use them, but also turning
individuals off from the sport for ridiculous reasons.

Zeke, to answer your question: I don't own an iPhone, but I like using the
gc.com app on my android. I
like the interface, but I know it's not at all the same as the iPhone
interface for the official app. I haven't heard any complaints from my friend
who does have the app for iPhone on her phone, however. I know for sure on the
official app you can directly download PQs to your offline lists, so that's a
perk that the other apps may or may not have.

its called a actual GPS