[GeoStL] Re: hints

  • From: Glenn <GLNash@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: geocaching@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 14 Jun 2007 18:05:08 -0500

-
Cool, for as much as I use all this stuff everyday, I sure don't know how to do all the fancy tricks. Thanks,

glenn

Jim Bensman wrote:

Strider,

The best way to get the hints with the 60 CSX is a custom POI

File: Export gpx/loc (or ctrl-g)

For waypoint name use: %smart=13 %typ1 %con1 %last4 %Dif/%Ter %by

Maximum characters 44

Cache description: %hint %name %code

Then save it in the custom POI directory

You can create a macro to do this and have a button on your tool bar for the macro

Then load it with POI loader.

If you need the hint, select find Custom POI and it will show up as the nearest custom POI. Select it and you will be able to see the hint (well sometimes it is too long, but almost always the entire hint will show). After you see the hint, don’t select goto. Just push quite and the GPS will still be pointing you to the cache waypoint.

You still load the waypoints and that is what you use to find the cache and mark it as found, The custom POI will hold much more data than a waypoint so you can usually get the hint in the custom POI. So you have a waypoint and custom POI for each cache.