[GeoStL] Re: geocaching.com & virtuals

  • From: "Mike Griffin" <griff@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <geocaching@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 17 Sep 2003 16:55:39 -0500

There is a lot of truth in this.. I think that for the most part, we are
getting a little burned out on the ordinary. What is the difference between a
micro in a small city park that has a clever hide and hiking 10 miles to find a
tupperware container with a logbook and pencil?

It weighs about the same. I like micros for the purpose they serve and I don't
feel they degredate the sport. However, any toss it and mark it type caches are
really lame. I have a few micros that bring people to really nice areas. Such
as the Arboretum at the University of Florida. Canes Cache. I also have one
that really is lame and it is named "Fun 4 Some". Simply because it is a small
multi that is in an obvious place.

I set out a cache where I don't want you to trade and stocked it with really
good stuff. The problem is, you have to solve a murder mystery before you can
find it. I am tired of placing a traditional cache with good stuff, giving the
coords out and 3 months later it is full of rubber balls and McDonald toys. Not
a very good thing for me or anyone who finds it later. So I have decided that
my new caches will involve a few micros as waypoints that will need some type
of logic to figure out the final cache and items in that final cache will NOT
be traded for. I want it to be a typical "you take one Item and I will restock
it" cache. That way, I control what is in the cache and people are happy with
it.

PA even took something from the Murder Mystery cache... :-)

I think that we can get to the point where we will over saturate with carpet
bombed micros and eventually it will just be unappealing to those who prefer
nice caches. I like long hikes in the Winter to do just one cache. I don't mind
that. I do mind a long hike in the Winter to find a cache that has a pencil and
log book only. I do them, but I would rather see something nice done with them.

Anyhow, I want to focus more on building the sport side of GPS navigation. I
think there is something there and our March event will showcase that.

Having rambled on here.... sigh... I am going caching..

Mike