[GeoStL] Re: geocaching.com & virtuals

  • From: Dave Keiser <dave@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: geocaching@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 17 Sep 2003 21:41:47 -0500

-
Don't be bashful about placing caches. I placed my first cache when I had about 15 finds and I didn't know any other cachers. It's not on anyone's top ten caches list, but it is kind of fun. It's well hidden (without a bunch of geoflage giving it away) and is still there.

To me, it was my 'testing the waters' cache. After that, I put out caches in places I thought other cachers should go. Once I ran out of really cool places, I started placing caches that are fun to find or tricky to find. The point is that we all love caches. Put a little effort and common sense in your cache and it will be just fine--the only time I see 'lame' comments is when the owner uses a bad container (a coffee can doesn't last long in Missouri weather), doesn't include a stash note, or hides it in such a way that it's too obvious to anyone walking by (or it will be once leaves fall off in the winter).

You can do all sorts of strange stuff. I have a cache that is full of rocks for trinkets (it's part of the theme and no one has said it was lame--you won't understand unless you do the cash and hopefully get a laugh out of it.) Like Glenn said, if you build it, they will come. Some people feel that Highway rest stop caches are lame. They have a point, but Jen (nyisutter) has done a good job of making a few interesting ones. They won't be on most folks favorite caches list, but they do provide a little break from the highway monotony. They also get more visitors than most regular caches. 1/1's get lots of visitors, 5/5's get very few (but they leave long logs).

I think most will agree if a cache entails a pleasant half mile walk, then who cares what the cache is about. A log is all you need, but trading stuff is fun. Still, the more effort you put into the cache (creatively naming it, giving a nice portrayal on the page, custom printing a log book label, etc.), the more you'll get back.

But, really, what do I know, I've only been caching since March and have only found 130+ caches and hid 29.

Dave (fullquiver)

-
From: "Laura D" <festive@xxxxxxxxxx>

-
Yeah, they will come... and then complain about it. But that's okay, I
believe in free speech. I am going to try to overcome my fear of
criticism
and place one anyway. I think I will name it "Lame Cache".

purple

Hey .. maybe we could hook up for a Series. For some reason I think you live
west or south. I live north. We could do a set:
Lame Cache
Blame Cache
Complame Cache
Sublame Cache

Or simply
Lame North
Lame West
Lame South
Lame East
Anything more creative simply wouldn't be.. well .. lame ..

Although I'll bet will be someone who will misread and think there is an
accent mark after the e in Lame and will be looking for gold and silver
sparkly material.

Nancy
NHL
thinkin' this could work  lol...