[GeoStL] Re: geocaching gets negative press

  • From: "Jim Bensman" <jbensman1@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <geocaching@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 6 Apr 2004 00:12:33 -0500

-
I always struggle with these kinds of issues as I know where there are lots
of neat and sensitive locations.  They are neat to share, but you always
worry about some slob.  I've put caches in somewhat sensitive locations and
let people know of the need to be careful and almost everyone has complied.

One thing I have recently been struggling with is there is a pair of bald
eagles nesting real close to the new cache at the museum by the Alton Lock
and Dam.  I have not decided if I should post a note on the cache page to
let people know they are there as you can see them from your car.  While one
can get fined $10,000 for disturbing them, I've been to parks and seen
people chasing after wildlife.  Eagle nests are very sensitive to human
disturbance. I would not want someone I told about it getting out of their
car for a closer look, but there should be no problem sitting in your car
looking at them.  So I do not know what I am going to do.  I've been
thinking about making people email me and promise they will stay in their
car.

There is another active eagle nest out on Dresser Island.  I canoed in that
area Saturday and thought about placing a cache out there, but decided
against it mainly because of the eagle nest and you never know what the
water levels will be in there.

Jim Bensman
"Nature Bats Last"

Subject field