[GeoStL] Re: geocaching Digest V7 #71

  • From: thistle coney <kabukibadger@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: geocaching@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 14 Mar 2008 09:12:45 -0700 (PDT)

Oh, please not the Zoo. I work security at the zoo, and if I participated, I'd
lose my job. If I don't participate, and it turns out I knew it was going to
happen, I'd lose my job. Given the daily stresses us security types have to
deal with there, please, please, please, not the zoo!

-Thystle

       Perhaps I worded my plea poorly. Firstly, we have a brand-spanking-new
head of security. Our old head of security was an ex-cop and cool about there
being geocaches at the zoo. He was OK with people just doing their own thing
and not  as long as they followed the rules and didn't hurt anyone or the
animals. He may have even wanted to participate in a flash-mob if he knew about
it ahead of time because because the tape would have made the rounds on
you-tube and possibly brought us more visitors- even though doing a flash mob
would be difficult given the size of the place and and the isolation of some
patches.
 The new guy? Also and ex-cop. Very by-the-book. We haven't told him about the
zoo geocaches because frankly, he would most likely have them removed (the zoo
is considered private property though it is within the confines of Forest
Park).  Since he has arrived, he has been slowly replacing the old security
staff with new security staff. Don't get me wrong, he is a very nice man, but
since he is new ...
  My job there is not so important. In fact, given the road construction, I
have been taking a break, anyway. Maybe I did over-react, but I have seen
cachers in Colorado arrested and dragged off in handcuffs for less. (she was
standing near a bridge with her GPSr looking for a cache when someone
overreacted)
  If you do decide on the zoo, may I suggest The Living World at the North
entrance? That way if someone wants to film it, they can do so from the top of
the rotunda while the flash mob happens down below- and it allows for a quick
escape once security is called.  *wink*
- Thistle