[GeoStL] Re: geocaching Digest V7 #20

  • From: thistle coney <kabukibadger@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: geocaching@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 22 Jan 2008 10:12:15 -0800 (PST)

R: About Feathers

The deal with the feathers is: Raptors (Eagles, Hawks, Owls, etc.) and other
migratory birds are protected, and killing one - even turkey-vultures, carries
a hefty $1000 fine. If you possess a feather from one, now matter how that
feather was obtained  (Red Tailed-Hawks for example, will pick up dead rats and
snakes off the road, and are frequently hit by cars) the government assumes you
killed the bird for the feathers. Only those Native Americans that can prove
they practice a traditional tribal religion and those people  having the
Federal license to handle  these birds are exempt (I have a permission under
this law to handle raptors when I am volunteering at the World Bird Sanctuary.
This license does not transfer when I'm working at the Zoo)
  So, unless you are positive the feather is from a turkey, the safe bet is to
leave the feather where you found it.

-Thystle