[GeoStL] Re: [geocache] Re: Premium Membership

  • From: "Steve Bromley" <bromley@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <geocaching@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 9 Jan 2009 16:49:14 -0600

-
There a couple of intangibles about supporting SLAGA that everyone reading
this email should consider.
Right now, today, in St. Louis city and St. Louis County, you can hide a
Geocache in one of their parks without getting a permit and without getting
hassled by the 'powers that be' about putting it there.  Much of that is due
to the relationship that SLAGA has with these organizations.  What is that
worth to you?  You can go out to the SLAGA webpage and see what's going on.
No cost. How is that paid for? There is always an event going on.  Many
times, SLAGA kicks in to help defray the cost without charging anyone who
attends a dime.  How does it get the money to do this?  We offer training
classes to help promote this game and instead of asking the volunteers to
risk their GPS's, SLAGA uses the 10 that they own.  Where did that money
come from to purchase those GPS's?  We have promotional items that we hand
out to help promote Geocaching in the area and in general.  How were those
paid for?

Until I got involved, I took SLAGA for granted.  There are a lot of things
that happen every month because a SLAGA volunteer is working in the
background on behalf of the Geocaching community to promote Geocaching in
the St. Louis area.  They need funds to work with and much of those funds
come from the dues that are paid by the Premium membership.  I can speak for
myself, when someone asks "What's in it for me?", I tell them, supporting
SLAGA with a Premium membership helps insure that you'll be able to geocache
in the St. Louis area.  Not a bad deal for $10 or $15 bucks a year, now is
it?

Steve Bromley
It's not only the destination, but also the path you take and the friends
you make along the way.