[GeoStL] Re: [geocache] Happy New Years and caching changes.

  • From: Glenn Nash <glenn.geocachingadmin@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: geocaching@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 12 Jan 2009 18:42:08 -0600

-
Thanks Steve.

Steve raises a gigantically valid point.  What happens to the junk
that gets left in the woods?   I think that it is then called litter
but other people call it pieces of another game.

I used to actively seek people that could go out and rescue archived
caches. I figured it was a good deed that should be done.  I caught 27
kinds of trouble for doing such things. WHY on earth whould anyone get
in trouble for picking up junk,  I thougt. Well, here is how it works.

Many cachers used to, and still do,  cross list their caches on
several of the other listing services.  I even had a few of mine cross
listed too.  Just because a cache is no longer listed on GC.com does
not mean that it is not listed on some other service.  Ended up that I
had picked up junk that was still being used as caches by the other
services.  Technically, I had no right to go pick up or ask anyone
else to go fetch another persons property from the woods and parks.
It was made fairly clear to me that the ownership and control of the
container remains in the control of it's owner.

On a practical matter, If i were to find myself walking in the park
and see a pile of trash by a tree I would probably just pick up some
trash and keep moving.  With so many caches out there by so many trees
I am sure that I have inadvertently picked up what was an old  trashy
cache or two.

Thanks for the support. I can tell you without a doubt that we do not
like to shut down caches. It does not make my day nor does it make me
feel any better about things. It is just something that needs doing.

On a side note, I was not able to get MAC OSx to run on my PC laptop.
I was close but it didn't fully work. I was , however, able to get
SuSe Linux working very nicely. :-) That made my day.

glenn

On Jan 12, 2009, at 5:51 PM, Steve Bromley wrote:

> -
> Glenn,
> First of all, I hope you get to feeling better soon. There's a lot
> of nasty
> stuff going around out there.  I'm working in a breeding ground of
> it but so
> far have avoided 'most' of it.
>
> I had a chance to look at the caches that were archived and for the
> vast
> majority, they needed it.  Most of them have been on my disabled
> list for a
> long time.  Getting them cleaned up and 'off' the books doesn't,
> unfortunately, get them out of the woods.  Maybe SLAGA can off a
> bounty for
> people willing to retrieve the 'crap' from the woods after the fact.
>
> I'm glad you are taking a more proactive approach to cache review and
> disablement.  I agree with both the why and the how.  Ok, now it's
> three
> down, and hundreds to go.
>
> Thanks for doing what you do.
>
> Steve Bromley
> It's not only the destination, but also the path you take and the
> friends
> you make along the way.

Your friendly Missouri Geocache Review team,
Glenn (*gln) & Reviewer of the Cache (RotC)