[GeoStL] frozen pipes .. fixed!!!

  • From: Glenn <GLNash@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: geocaching@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 25 Dec 2002 10:44:09 -0600

-
1) Problem, no diagnostic tools at 0300 to determine if heat tape is working. my infraed thermometer has walked off. this morning I dug up pieces of some old indoor/outdoor thermometers and spliced pieces together to get the outdoor section working. it didnt measure anything accurately but it can tell temp *differences*. i measured outdoor air then taped the sensor to different sections of the pipe. all sections of the pipe was warmer than ambient air temp. i put some snow on an exposed part of the tape and it melted. so, the heaters are working. the pipe in the water hookup hole is exposed again. I stuck a heating pad around the exposed part, warmed it up and we now have water again. :-) I need to re-insulate the water hole section of pipe. fiberglass batting will work but i have some old sweatshirts and that will have to do for now.

2) No bottled water, we use the free stuff, and i got the "uh, sure, frozen pipes....OK." response from work. I was going to take the plumbers bill, then the receipt for new heat tape, but i didnt do either. I guess I better go out and take a picture of me laying in a foot of snow next to the house.

3) SNOW ANGELS!!

i guess i could go to work now. I will have to think on this for a minute. (tick, tick, tick ) .... done. I have already missed enough of the day to give me a black mark so there is no point in showing up to help.

At 09:39 AM 12/25/2002 -0600, > From: Glenn > > the friggin pipes have frozen. anybody wanting coffee will > just have to > wait. arrrrg,

What, no bottled/filtered water in the fridge?

> oh yea,
> complements of the season to ya'll again.
>
> i got the computer another 256meg of memory. it dosnt think
> any smarter but
> it does it faster now :-)

The hell with heat tape, just set up your computer near those frozen
pipes. Should melt everything in no time.

> glenn
> mr Christmas fixit.
> missing work to call closed hardware places.

I bet work *really* believes your excuse for missing today, huh?

Happy happy!

Glenn
St. Louis, Mo