[GeoStL] Re: email oddness

  • From: Mike Lusicic <lusicic@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: geocaching@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 25 Apr 2008 12:09:37 -0500

- Well, technically, it isn't from "yourself". I was going to suggest sending an email to yourself, and see if it shows up. That may test one aspect of this, but it doesn't cover this particular scenario.

In most emails, the "From" and "Reply To" email addresses are the same. If you send an email to someone, that is what would happen, and that may work. However, when you get mail from the free list, the From is the person who posted the message, but the "Reply To" is the free list email address. That is why when you reply to a forum message, it shows up in the forum and doesn't go to the person listed as the "From" party. You can send it to the from party, but not by simply hitting the "Reply" button in your email program.

Anyway, normally, it is the free list software that figures out whether you want a copy of your own email or not. I just looked at the sign up page on the SLAGA web page, and there is nothing there to indicate this option.

Glenn, Didn't you used to have your own site where you could sign up for the list? Also, when you went to the new computer, did you sign up for the list again under a different email address? Or maybe the same? Did you change email clients?

tnsl wrote:
-
I find my missing email in the online spam/bulk folder - that *someone* reminded me was there lol and I do find email from myself there.

Isn't this list set up so that you check off a box that says to send or not send your own email?  Of course I would have no clue how that would have been checked or unchecked based on a new computer.

Does your new email client have something in it that recognizes you're sending to a list and is trying to do you a favor?

Do you have a filter set up that may recognize and delete email from your own address? Whether you know it or not .. I just did some googling and it looks like if you've copied your old info and moved it to the new machine using thunderbird that somethings are recognized differently or "keystrokes" or commands aren't copied as you would expect them to be --  or something like that lol

Can you send an email directly to yourself?

Nancy

----- Original Message ----- From: "Glenn Nash" <glenn.geocachingadmin@xxxxxxxxx>