[GeoStL] california wildfires / caching in Calif

  • From: "Mike Griffin" <griff@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <geocaching@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 23 Nov 2008 23:38:48 -0600

-
I'm just glad they are not around me right now. I just spent the whole day
in Joshua Tree NP. What a spectacular place. I arrived at 7:30 AM this
morning and started the day with a brisk 3 mile hike to Mastadon Peak. I
passed a really cool oasis with fan palms surrounding it. After the hike
there, I went to the Cholla Cactus trail and took a ton of pictures. There
are many virtual and earth caches in JTNP. I then hit the arch. Not too
impressive but an earthcache nevertheless. I spent close to 2 hours
bouldering in this area.

I went to Skull rock and did the earthcache there and the one across the
street. I bouldered there for well over 3 hours. Can you believe it, I
didn't break for lunch!! I then hiken to the Desert Queen Mine. That was
very cool. No cache there but it was at one time, the largest producing mine
in California.

From there, I hit the backcountry and took some pics of Joshua trees as the
sun was starting to set. I stayed until it got really dark and drove up to
the top of Ford Peak where I overlooked the Coachella valley and Palm
Springs. I did some star gazing from there. I tried to get 3 more virtuals
after that but the area was off limits after sunset..

I saw a Kit fox, Coyote, ground squirrels, Tatantulas, Yucca moths, Shrikes,
Mice, cactus wrens, Gambel's Quail, a billion zebra tailed lizards, kangaroo
rats. I was disappointed that I didn't see any bighorn sheep.

I will post pictures in the morning and copy the link here.

What an awesome place!!! If you ever get the chance to go, just do it. The
desert is soooo cool!!

Mike