[GeoStL] Re: cache containers

  • From: "Merkin" <merkin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <geocaching@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 4 Jan 2004 00:48:42 -0600

-
I saw some excellent cookie tin caches in Idaho on Thanksgiving.  They'd
been coated inside and out with a layer of Rustoleum paint.  They'd been
there for a while, but held the contents very well indeed.  All contents
were dry, including Beanie Baby toys, and this was in three inches of snow.
Missouri might be different, since I've seen as much rain here in a week as
Idaho gets in a year.

Glass containers, like a glass-lid Mason jar could be excellent.  I'd worry
more about the sun's rays focusing on paper items in the bottle and starting
a fire than I would worry about them getting waterlogged.  Depending on the
placement of the cache, it might not be an issue at all....

I just picked up three ammo cans today, and have given them a good coating
of Rustoleum paint.  I'm hoping that keeps them in good shape.  Uncle Sams
Surplus, west of the Cave Springs exit, north outer road.  $5 small, $6
medium, and they even had several large-ordinance cans for about $17.  We're
busy coming up with some plans for some unusual caches.

merkin4