[GeoStL] cache container tactics

  • From: Glenn <Glenn@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: geocaching@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 22 Apr 2003 20:56:08 -0500

-

It is funny that often different lists discuss just about the same things
at the same time. This was from today. The list is from Washington
discussing container tactics. They have some interesting ideas that has me
thinking  ...   gln

-------------------
<http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?ID=12412&log=y&decrypt=y>http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?ID=12412&log=y&decrypt=y

"Caching in Suburbia 1" has been around since January 5, 2002.  ...

I seem to remember that this cache was pretty much just sitting out in the
open in an area with a substantial amount of traffic.   ... I figured it'd
be pillaged pretty soon.

Any ideas as to why this one has thrived and survived?  Any ideas how I can
make my caches survive as long?

TravisL
------------------------------
As for making caches survive, I'm thinking that I'm seeing a tendency for
caches that look more like trash to stick around for a longer time than
those with clean, attractive containers.  My Tubbs Hill cache in Coeur
dAlene had lasted for 2 years as a cheap, dirty Rubbermaid container before
I replaced it with an ammo can this past Thanksgiving.  It disappeared
within 4 months (and has since been replaced).  A cache that I found in
Reardan, Washington is placed on the grounds of a high school, and yet has
survived apparently because it looks like an old cast-off plastic bucket
amid some rubble full of other trashy items.  Other caches around here that
I was sure would be gone in weeks or even days have lasted, while
well-hidden microcapsules and ammo boxes have disappeared in record time
despite being hidden in lesser-traveled areas.

While there is not enough data to draw any real conclusions, my feelings
have been leaning toward making my cache containers look like something you
wouldn't want to touch.  I'm not talking about threatening containers, but
dirty or icky ones.  I'm not sure if doing so would help, but it might make
for an interesting experiment.

  (Moun10Bike)