[GeoStL] Re: You catch more flies with honey, than vinegar

  • From: "Gale R. Nie" <showme69@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: <geocaching@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 30 Dec 2005 14:29:54 -0600

From: "Jim Bensman" <junkmailno@xxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <geocaching@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Friday, December 30, 2005 1:51 PM
Subject: [GeoStL] Re: You catch more flies with honey, than vinegar

 "As to the many suggestions that I should have personally confront the
person:  The person who used "ni**er" posted hate speech directed at Native
Americans on the listserve a couple of years ago.  As Paul pointed out, I
confronted him and was promptly set to no post for confronting the bigot."

"I will not be quite when people spew hate. People being quite is what
allowed Hitler and the KKK to flourish. Hate speech drives people to kill
and do hateful things. People have an obligation to stand up when people
spew hate speech."

If I'm not mistaken, I believe everyone is saying you should have walked up
to the person as soon as the offending comment was made and confronted them
right then. That is when you  "have an obligation to stand up" .  But you
kept quiet at the time.  Instead, you hide behind a keyboard at a later
date, dragging everyone else into something they weren't aware of and most
of them would have dealt with on the spot.  This could have been taken care
of in two minutes when it first happened instead of this big hulabaloo.

Gale