[GeoStL] Re: Win7 Backup

  • From: Mike Lusicic <lusicic@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: geocaching@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 14 May 2012 20:08:35 -0500

-
The Win 7 backup, if it matches what you can do with Win Server 2008 R2, can create a "Bare Metal" recovery to an external drive. You could do it to a DVD, but it would take a bunch of them. Anyway, to recover, you start a Windows Install. After it boots, you can select the recovery option and then recover from the bare metal backup. No need to install anything before you recover. Not sure if the image created is bootable. I forget at the moment.

I have not verified that this works, but then I did not want to scrap all the work I had done with the servers up to that point, so I will wait until I need it to see how things work out in that case. Trusting MS gives me the creeps, but the way they keep changing things, I am not sure the third parties are going to do all that much better.

On 5/13/2012 10:52 AM, Glenn wrote:
Thanks Tom! I like the idea of having a bootable backup. If the drive dies having a backup aint a lot of good if ya can't boot up. Thats what I do with the Mac too. I have an ongoing incremental backup via time capsule and a separate bootable clone.

I just didn't know what to do with a window machine.

Glenn

On May 12, 2012, at 1:56 PM, Tom Wolpert wrote:

Norton Ghost

Glenn

Missouri Geocachers Calendar --->