[GeoStL] Whoops, my cache is in a blasting zone!

  • From: "Mark Schiefelbein" <mark_schief@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: geocaching@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 23 Oct 2002 18:12:37 -0700

This past weekend I went out and dropped a cache (GC9D7A, Tiger Hollow)here in Columbia along what seemed like a pleasant dirt road/jogging trail. It's just south of the MU basketball arena, and a few hundred yards downhill from where they're building a new arena. You could kind of see the edge of the bulldozed construction zone from the cache, but it was quite a ways away, so I figured it was no problem. I even visited it again Monday afternoon to drop off some more goodies, and other than the container being out in the open nothing seemed amiss.

Two days later, a cacher logged a 'not found' indicating they'd been run off by the police while searching for it. Alarmed, I emailed them and got the full scoop:

Mark,
Mon eve we went in from the Hearns center and could
not get to it. Tue we went in from the other side, up
the private road [NOTE: actually now a public trail]. We were right on it when the police came and told us we were in a blasting zone and had to leave. He said there was going to be blasting for the next 20 days and they were patrolling the gravel road to keep people out. We had to explain why we were there and went thru the 3rd degree before they let us go.

I guess this is where I'd put in the 'embarassed' smiley. I of course have temporarily archived it; it's odd that just two days ago there was absolutely no signs or anything indicating that the cache and trail were in an impending blasting zone. So, uh, if you're coming to Columbia soon, you might want to skip this cache. ;)

--mark/ooga booga

Internet access plans that fit your lifestyle -- join MSN. http://resourcecenter.msn.com/access/plans/default.asp

Our WebPage! Http://WWW.GeoStL.com Mail List & Archive Info. //www.freelists.org/cgi-bin/list?list_id=geocaching