[GeoStL] Wentzville City Parks

  • From: "Jack Konecker" <jackkonecker@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <geocaching@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 3 Apr 2006 21:22:08 -0500

-
(shameless plug)
I did a podcast interview with Susan
Makky a few weeks ago, where we talk
about her work with the Wentzville
City Parks dept. on develop a geocaching
policy.
http://www.geostl.com/SLAGA/SLAGA_Podcast/SLAGA_019_20060318.mp3
I think SLAGA should jump at the chance
to participate in a discussion panel that
would give us a voice to explain our
hobby to the uninitiated (yes, there are
still some out there who are afraid of
us.)

If anything, SLAGA provides a legitimacy
to geocaching in the eyes of land managers.
It provides information via the web site,
education via training classes, public events
to allow people to see the fun we have doing it.
If we proactively take advantage of these
opportunities to work with city and county
parks, we can effectively guide policies in
a direction that will benefit us all.

Susan and I talked some about creating an
educational video as a beginner's introduction
to geocaching.  But I know there are already
DVDs out there for that purpose.  SLAGA
even has tri-fold brochures explaining the
hobby.  And send someone to the SLAGA
web site for a feast information about us.
Look at all the activites we sponsor and the
fun everyone seems to be having in all the
pictures we publish!

I gave Barb Wilson's (Missour DNR) contact info
to Dottie, but only mentioned I could get her
contact info for John Vogel and St. Louis County
parks, if she wanted.