[GeoStL] Re: Washington, MO

  • From: Jim Everman <everman@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: geocaching@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 08 Jul 2004 21:05:46 -0500

-
Sara Gomer wrote:
> . . .
> Speaking of which Missouri_Guy and I are toying with meeting at Round by the
> River at 9am to find it before Barramus archives it on the 19th.

 9 am what day? That one is on my list for 'whenever' but I didn't
realize it is being archived. Guess I'll have to wander over that way
soon, I'll be in Michigan the 19th...

 (Yes, I understand 'Take Me to the River.')

 With all the talk about feeling threatened while caching.. I started
to do the St. Stanislaus set yesterday. I think I got the longitude,
but then I was siting in the second choice parking lot gazing intently
at my laptop when some teen drove in, did a doughnut in the gravel and
showered my car with stones. A white Firebird or Camero. Then he hot
footed it out of there.

 He was accompanied by a couple other guys in a pickup truck. As they
left the parking lot, I managed to get a couple pictures (of
questionable quality).

 Then I checked my car. No damage, just a few frayed nerves. I still
decided that I didn't want to leave my car, so I'd just hang it up for
the day. Then the truck came back and they slowly approached my car. I
rolled down my window (engine running, ready to leave, AC on) to see
what they wanted.

 They asked if I had taken their pictures and why. "Yes, because I
figure you know the other driver."

 The other driver was in the back seat and started apologizing for
showering me with stones. It seems he blew a tire (before or during
the spin out??) and was glad as heck he hadn't smashed into my car (so
was I). We all agreed it was no harm, no foul and they went off.

 Anyway, I don't know if they had intended to startle me or not, the
blow out sounded fishy, and of course they might be contrite if they
know I can show the cops who they are. Oh well.. the hazards of
geocaching. :-)

 Geo Jim

--
   Jim Everman       mailto:everman@xxxxxxxxxxxx