[GeoStL] Was speed something, Now: Ticks and cures.

  • From: "Mike Griffin" <griff@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <geocaching@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 10 Sep 2003 08:19:22 -0500

-
Seed ticks.. They are the offspring that hatch just before fall. Chiggers
also are really bad this time of the year. Everything is getting ready for
the winter months. Seed ticks are just nymphs of the more common Lone Star
and Deer ticks. Some like to think of seed ticks as a species of tick but
they are not. Interesting enough, the more common tick can live for 14 - 20
months without a host. So these small nymphs were just looking for something
to attach to.. You must have been it!

Another thing to keep in mind about ticks is they tend to move around more
on hot humid days. Cooler days will keep them on the ground. Humidity seems
to be what motivates them.

Chiggers are the really pesky ones. They tend to thrive on humidity and love
lush vegetation. Chiggers are only active in their nymph stage as they tend
to be quite happy with plants when they reach adulthood.

Cures for chiggers and ticks is about the same. Barring you get Lyme or
Rocky Mountain Spotted fever, just a good stick of Bendryl or any
hydrocortisone 2% will work. I prefer the cream. It does 2 things. 1) blocks
airflow and 2) provides itch relief of the area for a while.

Of course, the first action should be antiseptic wipes when you remove a
tick. If you want it tested, there are several good labs that will test it.
I just wait for the symptoms and then it confirms that I have lyme disease.
:-)

See.. http://www.lymealliance.org/tick/scapularis.php for more tick details!