[GeoStL] Re: Was Walmart Now Flying Toads

  • From: Mike Lusicic <lusicic@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: geocaching@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 10 Jan 2008 00:22:26 -0600

- I would think that the proper place to editorialize about the likes or dislikes of a particular cache would be in the logs. If you don't like it, then say so and why so the owner gets the idea. If it is great, then say so, so the owner gets positive feedback. Also, if the next guy comes along and reads those, they can decide whether they want to do it or not based on what the logs may say. You don't have to belong to an organization or be affiliated with anything to do that.

Jim Bensman wrote:
-
Dan,

I can somewhat understand your point of view, but I look at it a bit
differently.  One problem is you cannot filter out lame/walmart lamppost
caches.  The only way to find out is to go do it (and if you are there, you
just do it).  I've got nothing against easy caches and I don't mind an
occasional lame cache. It is much more fun to do an easy cache in an
interesting location.  Yesterday, I did the eagle has landed.  I drove to
within 10 feet of it and it took me 30 seconds to find it.  But many times
you can see 50-100 eagles in the spot.  I just wish people would take the
time to find an interesting location like the eagle spot instead of putting
them in a walmart parking lot.

My hope is we can exert peer pressure that quality is more important than
quantity.  Let's encourage people to take the time to find an interesting
spot instead of another lamppost.  Or make it interesting and challenging
(RGS's guard rail cache and a guard rail cache we found in Evansville were a
blast to do).  I like the overall quality of caches in our area and want to
keep it that way.

For the number hounds, how about we establish a lamppost cache for them and
let them log it over and over again?  Once you have seen a lamppost or
walmart, you've seen them all.  What's the difference in finding the same
one over and over again and finding a different lamppost?

Today I was in a meeting in Benton IL.  After the meeting I drove a couple
of miles to a cache.  It was clearly on private property and nothing was on
the cache page about permission.  The hint and GPS where directing me to go
into the bushes by a sign and house.  Without knowing if there was
permission, I did not feel comfortable going onto private property in their
bushes.  So I did not.  This was not fun.  It was a waste of my time.

We all have lots of fun doing this.  So in exchange for the fun we get from
others work (Let me thank Glenn again), I think we should pay these people
back by taking the time to do a quality cache.  I think we owe it to other
cachers to not place them in a situation where they could get arrested or in
bad situations like by playgrounds.  If we place a cache on private property
we need to get permission and let people know on the cache page that
permission has been granted.  I bet the vast majority of lamppost caches do
not have permission.

You said you, "enjoy some caches MORE than other caches."  What I am hoping
for is we can encourage people to do higher quality and more fun caches.
Let's all work to keep high quality caches in the area.

Jim Bensman
"Nature Bats Last"