[GeoStL] Re: Was Walmart Now Flying Toads

  • From: Glenn Nash <GLNash@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: geocaching@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 09 Jan 2008 10:40:53 -0600

-
Michael Griffin wrote:
I think we miss the point of the caches. It is not so some guy in a wheelchair can't play, it is asking permission which is the basis of any cache. It clearly states that permission MUST BE OBTAINED PRIOR to placing any cache. If it is a hassle to get permission, we shouldn't place one with the Oh Well attitude. We should do the homework and make sure we obtain permission.

BINGO, give the bear a prize.

However, I totally agree that SLAGA is not the enforcing agency on caches. We are a social club and should not condemn or support any kind of hides.

BINGO again. I have seen and been involved with other groups attempts to keep their area filled high quality caches, help tutoring "problem" cachers and help clean up the area of old moldy, abandoned junk caches that were littering the parks. All very nice ideas but it pretty much ended in DISASTER and fractioned the group until it pretty much just imploded. I think there are some ways that a local organization could help with such things but that is a gigantic discussion and too much for now.

snip...
I will do caches that I don't necessary like because I too am a numbers hound. I am NOT afraid to say I love numbers. Although I haven't logged several of the caches I have done in the past 6 months, I like to watch my numbers.

Yep, I have many hundreds of caches that I have not logged. Just never get around to it.

Ok, Last topic since this is about Geocaching and not food. Larry and myself were talking about how the numbers have killed the muticaches and puzzles. I use to make a puzzle cache run for 1 or 2 caches. Now, unless I go alone, no one wants to do 1 or 2. Everyone wants to do 60 or 100 or 500 in a weekend. Only if someone has solved a puzzle down to the final will someone do a difficult puzzle.

WTMRN and I started talking about this back in '01 before the very 1st SLAGA picnic. "People dont want to do our out of town or harder caches anymore" we lamented. Why bother? With so many caches in town, why would anyone want to go all the way to our Greer Springs cache or even Babler for that matter. My blue spring cache and Forever green are very low volume caches but they are quite a drive. "Choices" is IN town but only gets hit a few times/year. "Takes too long & looks too hard" are most of the reasons I get. Pretty much the same still. I have 3 gazillion caches within a mile of my house. Why would I need to go across town for anything? Sad state of affairs but it is just easier to do the easy ones close to home. I do the same thing.

Ok - I am really done. I am headed out here in Boston and going to grab a few Guardrails and Light poles.

And not all guardrail and lightpole caches are lame. RGS has a guardrail cache that will stump most folks and there is a light pole in nashville that had me scratching my head for a bit.

Glenn

*Mike Griffin*