[GeoStL] Re: Was Walmart Now Flying Toads

  • From: fascist-cows_dreaming@xxxxxxx
  • To: <geocaching@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 08 Jan 2008 21:36:47 -0500

-
Very well said Arlene. To each their own.

p.s. i'm nominating you for the SLAGA Geocache Crisis Intervention Committee.

From: dcrep_gc@xxxxxxxxxxxxx: geocaching@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx: [GeoStL] Re:
Was Walmart Now Flying ToadsDate: Tue, 8 Jan 2008 17:38:45 -0600

I just wanted to echo Stephen's comment.  As one of the finders of the Mummy
in 2007 (Stephen was another), I'd happily walk right by a lamp-post to get an
interesting cache such as that one.  Not all new cachers are interested in
numbers... some quite the opposite.-Dan (dcrep)> > Well said Mike. I am not
into the numbers at all. I love puzzles like Mummy and tricky caches like Need
Gas. I relish a 2 or even one cache day if I had to sweat or think to get it.
It is all about what the individual is into. Keep making your caches like you
do, 32 finds is an indication of a cache that requires some work. Kudos you!>
> Stephen> > On Tuesday, January 08, 2008, at 03:03PM, "Michael Griffin"
<mike.griffin@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:> >I think we miss the point of the caches. It
is not so some guy in a> >wheelchair can't play, it is asking permission which
is the basis of any> >cache. It clearly states that permission MUST BE
OBTAINED PRIOR to> >placing any cache. If it is a hassle to get permission, we
shouldn't> >place one with the Oh Well attitude. We should do the homework and
make> >sure we obtain permission. > > > >However, I totally agree that SLAGA
is not the enforcing agency on> >caches. We are a social club and should not
condemn or support any kind> >of hides. Everything is personal preference. I
don't like light poles> >and guardrails, but I do them :-) I don't like
McDonalds or Wal-Mart> >caches no matter how they are placed, but I do them!
:-) > > > >However, I don't like the fact that I could go to Jail because
someone> >was too lazy to ask permission before placing a cache. I recently,
as> >did HappyKraut, replaced all my permission forms for all caches at Busch>
>and Weldon Spring. During that process, it became very clear that all> >the
properties John Vogel manages do not have legal caches on them. He> >knows
this and has let us slide. How long before he decides enough is> >enough and
prohibits caching on all his managed lands. Permits are> >helpful in the fact
that it is a 2 way agreement. I would feel much> >better doing a cache on
private property where the owner has placed on> >the cache page his permission
from statement.> > > >I will do caches that I don't necessary like because I
too am a numbers> >hound. I am NOT afraid to say I love numbers. Although I
haven't logged> >several of the caches I have done in the past 6 months, I
like to watch> >my numbers.> > > >Ok, Last topic since this is about
Geocaching and not food. Larry and> >myself were talking about how the numbers
have killed the muticaches and> >puzzles. I use to make a puzzle cache run for
1 or 2 caches. Now, unless> >I go alone, no one wants to do 1 or 2. Everyone
wants to do 60 or 100 or> >500 in a weekend. Only if someone has solved a
puzzle down to the final> >will someone do a difficult puzzle. > > > >Case and
Point was the Mummy Cache. In 2 years, I had 32 finds. Here is> >what is
amazing - From Sept - Dec in 2005 I had 20 finders, in all of> >2006 I had 6
finders and in 2007 until archived late October, I had 6> >finders.> > > >With
the number of new cachers out there, most are getting their> >training from
the old timers that are teaching them it is all about> >numbers. Stats, Light
poles and Guardrails are the result of numbers.> >Remember, I said I was a
numbers hound, no hypocrisy, just observations.> > > >Ok - I am really done. I
am headed out here in Boston and going to grab> >a few Guardrails and Light
poles.> >> >Mike Griffin > >> >> >> >________________________________> >>
12:28:25 P.M. Central Standard Time,> >junkmailno@xxxxxxxxxxx writes:> >> > I
think a good service SLAGA could provide is to have people who> >can> >
tactfully contact cache placers who place problematic caches.> >They could> >
work with them to fix the problem. I suspect that would be> >better than some>
> of us less tactful people pointing out the problem in a cache> >log.> > > >>
>Jim,> > I disagree with this statement, any problematic caches should be>
>reported to the local approver for them to handle. They are paid big> >money
to handle that sort of thing. > > As far as lamp post or easy caches, they
serve a purpose too, they are> >great for those with mobility issues, and
people looking for some quick> >finds. If placed according to guidelines, I
don't have a problem with> >them. They can be ok, and sometimes they can be a
nice surprise when a> >new trick shows up.> > Let's not get into any sort of
condemnation of anything, this sport has> >lots of room for all types of
hides, enjoy the game.> > > >Strider> >> >> >>
>________________________________> >> >Start the year off right. Easy ways to
stay in shape>
><http://body.aol.com/fitness/winter-exercise?NCID=aolcmp00300000002489>> >in
or To make _ANY_ changes, including unsubscribing from this> list, click
-----> //www.freelists.org/list/geocaching > Missouri Caches Scheduled to
be Archived http://tinyurl.com/87cqw

Start now!
Make distant family not so distant with Windows Vista® + Windows Live™.
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/digitallife/keepintouch.mspx?ocid=TXT_TAGLM_CPC_VideoChat_distantfamily_012008