[GeoStL] Re: WARNING **TECHNICAL QUESTION**

  • From: Jack Anderson <pandyandy3@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: geocaching@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 14 Mar 2006 17:20:23 -0800 (PST)

-
Speaking of this format stuff.  I have never attended a MOGA event before.
What type of format do they use for the caches so that I can get familiar with
it?  Is it the standard format that I see on the geocaching.com pages?

  Jack
Glenn <Glenn.GeocachingAdmin@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
  -
Here is a note I got this afternoon. My answer would be to use the ddd
mm ss.s setting in the GPSr and round up or down to the nearest 10th.
With all the different measurements I have played with this afternoon
the difference between a whole 10th position is about 10 feet. ex.
the distance from N 40 31 43.*7*00, W 90 19 55.02 to N 40 31 43.*8*00
w90 19 55.020 is just 10 feet. so even if the competitor is given
coords with a north of N 40 31 43.750 and they round to N 40 31 43.700
it is a 5 foot error. or if he rounds UP to xx xx43.8 it is a 5 foot
error the other way but nothing is going to be that accurate anyway.
My garmin will accept DDD MM SS.S and not down to the thousands
either. I just dont think it matters and that is what I will say unless
someone can show me different. SO, ---> Set the Garmin to DDD MM
SS.S and round up or down as needed.
I'm sort of right, right??

Glenn