[GeoStL] Re: Virtual caches, was... site imporvements

  • From: Glenn <Glenn@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: geocaching@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 19 Oct 2005 10:38:24 -0500

-
I am not totally sure but what I am leaning to is granfathering that
particular page.
I spoke with Jeremy about the problem and he still thought it was a
good category despite the "dying" issue.  If  the owner of the
waymark page is keeping up on the object and decides to archive the
page I guess that would be OK but I am tending to not archive them myself.

As long as the person was living at the time the page was placed, I
think that is good enough for me. I guess. (maybe)

clear as mud right?

glenn
At 09:02 AM 10/19/2005, you wrote:
> [...]
> >
> >Moving to he present.....  People still liked the "virtual location" idea
> >andwas quite upset when we started restricting virtual caches.  It is a neat
> >way to see a bunch of neat stuff while out and about. KC has tons of neat
> >historical doo dads that we would have never seen if it were not for the
> >geocaching website.
> >
> > It took quite some time but Waymarking was set up to handle all the virtual
> >location ideas,  hopefully in an entertaining way.
> >
> >The plan..... Locationless caches are in the process of being converted to
> >waymarks. I don't know how far along they are in the process but when that
> >isdone the category creation list will open up for the creation of new
> >categories.  That should be very soon if it is not already done.
> >
> >The  Plan ... Virtual Caches.  Here is what I understand is supposed to
> >probably happen (maybe).  The current Virtual caches will be granfathered in
> >and be allowed to stay.  I have however converted my "Meinrods" virtual
> >cacheto a waymark in the historical places section and probably at some
> >pointarchive the V. Cache listing leaving just the WM.
> >
> >We have been pointing folks to look at the WAYMARKING site for virtual cache
> >submissions since it has been up and running.  Again (i believe) at some
> >point in the near future, the option of going the pain and suffering of a
> >virtual cache submission and denial will not be an option.
> >
> >There is getting to be better integration of the waymarks into the PQ's and
> >Ihave requested a link on the cache pages to the "nearest waymarks" as there
> >is for the nearest benchmarks.  Perhaps a way to specify "my favorite
> >catagory" filter then find all nearest waymarks.
> >
> >There is not much around now to clutter your nearest list but soon, every
> >wifi hotspot will be waymarked, along with flower gardens, petrogliphs,
> >funnymailboxs, indian burial mounds, ballparks ...... ect will be waymarked
> >too. I believe that filtering the list will become an important feature to
> >find what interests the user.
> >
> >There will be no distance limitations or "cache density" issues with
> >Waymarks, and the waymarks will not have to pass the "WOW!!!" test to get
> >listed. The cache reviewers will not be dealing with the waymarks at all
> >unless of course a reviewer is the owner of a category.
> >
> >I own 2 categories.  Springhouses, which is in the Places >historical.
> >division. It is gathering the locations of Springhouses. (suppriesd right).
> >So far I think there are possibly 4 or 5 folks that have submitted their
> >springhouses to be listed in my category.   I also have a category of
> >"Statues (or monuments) of live living people.  There are plenty of statues
> >and monuments around set up for dead guys but I want the ones for live guys.
> >I think there is a statue of Stan Musial (still alive),  at the ballpark.
> >That would work if someone submitted it to the category.
> >
> >Well, that is the world of waymarks and virtual caches as i know it.

Glenn,
Missouri Geocachers Assoc  http://www.MoGeo.com
*THE*   Forums for Mo & Ks. http://mogeo.ipbhost.com/index.php?

Dave's Handy Hiding Hints http://www.ratisher.com/geocache_hiding.htm