[GeoStL] Virtual and Locationless Caches

  • From: Greg Ponder <thehairyhillbilly@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: geocaching@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 1 Mar 2003 05:18:02 -0800 (PST)

I am not sure why the powers that be are so down on virtual caches--unless they
really feel that a lot of locations for regular caches are being lost because a
virtual has been placed instead. Or is it a quality issue? Virtuals don't have
the "fun" ending of finding the trinkets and logbook, but they usually sending
you to that location for a reason that makes the stop worthwhile.

And...just when I thought of a locationless cache idea, I see that locationless
caches are suspended! I've never searched for a locationless cache, but I do
hope that they come back online even if they are in a separate category like
the benchmarks.

OK. Here are my official geocaching.com improvement ideas (which I am sure the
gc team will jump on and implement before the sun has set on another cloudy
winter day :^)).

1. When you log a find you have several choices: found it, couldn't find it,
etc. To address the cache quality issue, why not let the cacher who is logging
the find also rate the cache from one star to five stars, which would show up
alongside the other two star ratings? A small line next to it indicating how
many votes upon which the rating was based would also be handy. If a cache
consistently received poor reviews, a cacher who was considering going to it
would know that, based on the experience of others, their time would be better
spent elsewhere.

2. Couldn't gc.com implement a filtering system. If cachers didn't want to be
bothered with virtuals, a system that allowed you to filter out the virtuals
would make the virtual cache decision left to the individual cacher. If you
want to visit them, don't filter them out. If you aren't fond of virtuals,
filter them (or any other style of cache that you don't enjoy) out.

I believe that these two approaches would help the cache approvers. The burden
of magically discerning the quality of the cache wouldn't be so high. Time
would tell if the cache had the quality that it needs to survive.

Enough of that. Everyone have a great Saturday. I'm stuck at work once again.
:^(

The Hairy Hillbilly