[GeoStL] Vehicle titles - NGR

  • From: Jack Anderson <pandyandy3@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: geocaching@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 18 Sep 2008 21:07:47 -0700 (PDT)

I have a question for someone out there that knows the law concerning vehicle
titles.
I had an accident where a young man hit the back of my car.  Because of the age
of the car they totaled the car the insurance company states they have to have
a copy of my title to show proof of ownership to the Missouri State Office of
something or other.
The reason I am hesitant to give them a copy of my title is that first they
tried to low ball me on the value of the vehicle.  Then they tried to tell me
that they had to put a salvage title on it and I had to get it retitled which
is not true on a car over 7 years old.  I am buying the car back and am going
to fix it to be insurable again.  Then when agreed on a price they again tried
to low ball me.  When they finally agreed to the price they now claim to need a
copy of my title.  I just do not trust them anymore that they won't go ahead
and put a salvage title on it to cause me trouble.  Does anyone out there know
the law, whether Missouri State or Insurance Law that says I have to give them
a copy of my title.  I totally agree to showing it to them to show proof of
ownership but do not want to give out a copy of it.

What say you?  Someone?