[GeoStL] Re: Using accurate coordinates

  • From: "M. Bollinger" <lazylightning3@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: geocaching@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 9 May 2007 11:24:29 -0700 (PDT)

Accurate coordinates are nice, but even more critical are USEFUL hints.  This
is a pet peeve of mine.  I have often seen damage by seekers that could have
been avoided by having them find the cache instead of just looking for it.

Here's one I tried last week that is an example of one of the offenders:
STL Tar-egg by humanaquarium with NO hint.
"From the previous logs, I knew not to trust my machine, so I put it away and
just went hunting." Translation: "just went ripping up everything in site"

If everyone would have good hints like under the big flat rock, at the base of
the forked tree- (not: email me if you can't find it; park at this place; or
some other gibberish or no hint at all) people won't be so inclined to overturn
every rock, rip out every plant, stomp around in a flower bed, take every rock
out of a wall.

In every instance where I talked with land managers who were turned off by
caching, it was because people we looking in a nearby spot (like a planter bed)
that they shouldn't have been or disrupting and area while looking.